• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

sexing cacatuoides

Eva32181

5 Year Member
My cacatuoides are doing well, but I'm having trouble telling the girls from the boys here. A few of them are clearly males, very large and colorful, and one is definitely a female - she's bright yellow and guarding fry. But there are others in the group that are not as big as the big males, but don't really look like females either. I understand females only turn yellow when ready to spawn, right? Any ideas on distinguishing them?

Neil

Eva,
With line-bred aquarium strain fish, like the cacatuoides that you have, there is some difficulty in sexing. Usually an easily sexed fish, these fish have been produced via the selection of optimumly colored females as the broodstock focal point. Simply put, the females that carry the most red w/black reticulated markings on the unpaired fins, almost to the point of resembling a male. In turn, they produce fry that are similarly colored and can be quite difficult to sex until they become adults.
However, there are a few things to look at. The ventral fin of the female usually has a black anterior edging, the red/black markings are usually lighter in the female and the females "base" color is a little lighter with, perhaps darker black markings on the body.
Of course, the easiest way is when the female goes into her yellow breeding coloration. Hope this helps.
Neil

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….