• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing Apistogramma Viejita

discusathome

Helo,
Some months ago I bought this “couple” of wild apistogramma veijita.
Can you tell me if they are male and female ?
Thank you
eZy Watermark_10-07-2023_10-00-07-7030PM.jpeg
eZy Watermark_10-07-2023_09-53-05-6670PM.jpeg

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Why is the the lighter one male as well? What are the characteristics of the male Vs female?
I said that both are males if they are wild! In wild forms of macmasteri females don't show any or at least not as much red coloration on the head and the body.

MacZ

Which are the main difference between wilds and f-something ?
In this case it's not F-something. We're talking domestic colour breed.
And that's the thing. The colours in the obvious male are very defined and strong. The other fish has a pattern I'd definitely connect just to domestic fish.

Here you see the wild form: Compare carefully.

And here (one of) the domestic form(s):

Although there are more domestic forms:
One which has been bred to distinguished whitish colouration (those are often sold as A. viejita)
And the colour enhanced almost fully red-orange one:

discusathome

In this case it's not F-something. We're talking domestic colour breed.
And that's the thing. The colours in the obvious male are very defined and strong. The other fish has a pattern I'd definitely connect just to domestic fish.

Here you see the wild form: Compare carefully.

And here (one of) the domestic form(s):

Although there are more domestic forms:
One which has been bred to distinguished whitish colouration (those are often sold as A. viejita)
And the colour enhanced almost fully red-orange one:
Thank you very much for the information, now it's clear.
Besides the origin of them, are they a couple ?

MacZ

discusathome

You posted those in another thread already and got an answer there, please stick to your topic.

You're welcome.
You have one sure male, the other fish... Either a young male or a female. I can't tell, sorry.
Ok, I will give them time and then we will see what happens...
Thank you once again

anewbie

It is interesting one has a hump and the other does not - i had not observed humps before in pictures of mac but maybe i never looked closely as they are not on my radar.

MacZ

It is interesting one has a hump and the other does not - i had not observed humps before in pictures of mac but maybe i never looked closely as they are not on my radar.
Don't confuse the users. The picture with the one with the hump is not from the OP.
And the hump is a sign of fast growth and fattening food.

anewbie

Don't confuse the users. The picture with the one with the hump is not from the OP.
And the hump is a sign of fast growth and fattening food.
Ok I guess that explains why i've not seen a hump before in the species.

MacZ

Age AND/OR overfeeding. There are many that develop it over time anyway, but also some that only develop it when chronically overfed.
Apistos are usually of the latter group. As are Discus.
Many central american genera like Amatitlania only develop it with age, not showing it until very mature. Also South American species like Pterophyllum and Mesonauta develop them in older age.
And then african cichlids like many Steatocranus from the Congo or Cyphotilapia from Lake Tanganjika get the hump anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….