• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

selling dwarf cichlids in sydney australia

andros

5 Year Member
hi
i was wondering if anyone who lives in sydney australia has any rare dwarf cichlids that they are trying to sell if anyone does could you please notify me and i will contact you.
thanks
andrew

natczer

5 Year Member
re

Hi Andrew,

Sorry I can't help as I live in Melbourne, but interested in any Aussies who are into dwarf cichlids (as they seem to be few and far between!). Have you tried your local cichlid society? Have you got any fish you're breeding at the moment, just out of interest?

Natalie

natczer

5 Year Member
re

Just saw your other posts. I haven't had macmasteri, but have kept cacs and aggies. The cacatuoides will breed very easily...I have some in my community tank, basically using tap water and some upturned flowerpots. I haven't successuly spawned the agassizi (spelling?). What apistos are around in Sydney...we seem to be getting a few more down here. I'm breeding A. Eunotus, which were accidently imported here a few years ago, and noone else seems to have any.

andros

5 Year Member
hi natalie
i am keeping a.cacs, a.aggasizi, a.blue head, a.macmasteri,n.anomala,pelvicachromis pulcher and multifasciatus the multis seem to be goin alright and the kribs have spawned and had fry.
and yes i am a member of the NSW Cichlid society but there are not many dwarf enthousiasts besides me.at the moment i am trying to get a small business started and expand it into a shop and i'll be mainly focusing on dwarf cichlids and cichlids and some other common community fish like mollies and tetras and so on..
thanks
andrew

andros

5 Year Member
they have a.viejita farb form II,a.eunotos,a.nijesseni "wild" and tank bread,A.Norberti,a.juruensis "wild",a.bitaeniata "wild",a.hongsloi,a.cruzi,a.panduro,a.sp. "courtship-spot",a.sp."broad-band",some laecara,n.anomala,some dicrossus,microgeophagus ramirezi and altispinosa also wild blue rams and gold rams thats bout all ive seen at my local aquarium on their list their are a few more that i cant think of at the moment.
whats down in melbourne at the moment, what other fish do you breed?
andrew

scott

5 Year Member
i noticed you said you keep a. blue head. i have some apistos that were sold as a. agassizzi in a local store here but they don't look like any aggassizzi i have ever seen. one of the workers also called them "blue faces" i would post a pic. but i just got my computer and camera recently and have no idea how. if you could descibe the fish you have maybe i could tell if mine are the same species. thanks, -scott

Apistt_ed

Hello scott,

I also encountered the mysterious "blue-face" apisto here in Wisconsin and it turned out to be A. wangenflecken, which is described as A. resticulosa in Dr. Uwe Romer's book. I'm not sure if it is actually A. Resticulosa, though. There are also more than enough evidence that your fish may be a number of other fishes due to the names given to fish by different exporters. I have encountered A. Eunotus in price lists from people who have listed them as "blue-cheek" Apistogramma. This can also be a possiblity! Then there is the infamous A. "steelblue" which isn't really a valid fish species at all! It has been controversial and is now widely accepted as a hybrid fish which seems to never have any females available. If you do a search on "A. steel blue", in this forum you can see some pictures of what it actually looks like. These are some possibilities of what your false aggie could be. hope this helps...

john

andros

5 Year Member
hi scott
i also had the same thing happen to me at a fish store when i just started fish keeping last year i bought a single a.aggassizi from my local shop and they ran out sop i went to another store and they had the same fish but called it a.blue head i have recently discovered that the fish i bought last year was falselynamed and it was actually a blue head not an aggassizi i am almost completely sure that these a.blue heads are actually a.sp steel blue from looking in Uwe Romers book for a few minutes and then looking at my blue heads and they both look exactly the same.

i dont think this species is a.resticulosa because it has kind of a different shape to its body although it looks similar and also has different colour pattern.

hope this is good advice.
has anyone bread these species if so how?
andrew

Adam - Sydney

5 Year Member
First Message

I live in sydney too. I have a pair of a. cacs, a. borelli, and i also have a blue head. They look very much like the borellis except the colours. My borellis are yellow heads. I got all of my fish from a shop in Hornsby called Reef Aquariums. The Manager Mike, is really helpful and will order any of a range of apistos from his importer. Some take a while to get there but he has had macmasteri, orange flash cacs recently. Another place that has baby apistos at the moment is a place in parramatta called Aquarium wholesalers or something, he has a. viejetas, a. cacatoides, a. nijenssi. Although this shop isnt as nice as Reef. (free plug)

I would like to meet up and see each others fish or something along those lines. Oh and this is my first message!

EuJin

5 Year Member
Andrew,

I have recently got some apisto from Manly Aquarium world. They can do orders based on fish availability from the suppliers( a weekly list is faxed to them) on Mondays. Fishes I have got from them are Apistogramma nijsseni, and Viejita Form II. I would ask if you have any requests on apisto type to combine your order with mine. We can request for pairs and they will try their best. You might want to look at A. Trifasciata, Norberti and Breitbinden. These are all very good fish.

Regards

P.s. re-post if you have any enquiries or email for contact.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….