• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Seachem Acid Buffer and Alkaline Buffer

A

alikhanweb

I read in many places that these products should be used together to get the desired pH. If I want to lower pH from 7.6 (pH of water source) to around 6.0 then do I really need to use Alkaline Buffer at all.
My KH is 4 and GH is 1.
I'm trying to spawn inca 50, nijsenni under the low pH.

2la

5 Year Member
I think I've killed more fish using these two products than any others. I was never able to attain my target pH either, despite following the instructions to the letter. Many of my fish--weakened by the resulting pH bounce--succumbed to a vicious bout of velvet. I'm not saying don't use these products, but if you do: Use with extreme caution!

farm41

5 Year Member
I think any of the additives will raise the conductivity(in spawning softwater fish, we want to lower it), the best thing for you to use is RO water and/or peat treated water.

IMO
YMMV

A

alikhanweb

Thanks for feedback. I have used peat treated water and lowered the pH, I agree that is a safer method, its the work involved that gets tiring. I actually collected rainwater last night and added it in gradually, that reduced the pH.

Zapisto

5 Year Member
i think softness is more important in breeding processus.
wait i never say the ph is not important but soft water and good good conductibity value is the two parameter i play with when i try breed something (in dwarf of course)

i usually have a PH between 4.5 and 6.5 for all my tank so i never look into PH

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….