• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

R/O parts

brad

5 Year Member
I`m looking at a 4 stage r/o unit second hand. Apparently the filters need to be changed. I need to convince the wife it won`t be that expensive, but since I know absolutely nothing about ro`s, I need a little help.

What would you guys say it actually costs to have an ro? I have 1 15 gallon, a 20 and a 33.

Do they need to be hard plumbed into place or do you hook them to the sink tap? I imagine it depends on the model right?

Sorry for the questions, but I really have no idea.

Thanks

Randall

5 Year Member
R/O units

Hello Brad,

Assuming the membrane is okay and does not need replacing, replacing a carbon block pre-filter is not too expensive. Your unit need not be hard plumbed. You can get a coupling, if your unit doesn't come with one, and hook it up to the sink as necessary.

Once you have the necessary equipment in place, operating an R/O unit is very inexpensive.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

tjd

5 Year Member
RO Expense

Hey Brad, my 4 stage unit costs me about 3 to 6 cents per gallon to operate. The range is due to the fact that I change the carbon block and sediment filter every 4-5 months regardless of how much water I have filtered. I could save a little by not using the Deionizing stage (fourth stage).

One word of caution when looking at the gpd numbers, the production rates are under ideal conditions in terms of inlet temperature, pressure, and membrane condition. At 57 psi and 60F, my production rate is about 1/2 the stated gpd rating.

Tom

brad

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. My water out of the tap has a Kh and gh of 12. I replace about 25-30 gallons of water a week. Of that 30 gallons, some will be regular tap.

I suppose if I have to hard plumb it, it`ll have to go in the basement. It`ll be too big to drag around all the time. I was thinking of hooking a line from there to my tanks. How big of a pipe do I need? It all seems to be done with airline type hoses.

Should I spend the extra money to have the di unit? Is it worth it?

Here`s the unit I`m looking at. Any comments?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4442700333&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:CA:1&rd=1

Z Man

5 Year Member
You should visit the Specta-Pure site and look at their offerings. I purchased one about 8 years ago and have replaced all components twice now. I run it almost every day as I have 80 small (10 - 15g) tanks. From the first day you use it, the output begins to slowly decrease. I have 1 15gpd portable unit that just connects to the basement faucet. Just remember that you will get an output of 1 gallon of RO to about 5 gallon of what some call waste. (My wife uses it for everything around the house from coffee to cooking) My filters and membrane are changed all at the same time. BUT the cost is about 80% of the original unit. Actually they are the main part of an RO unit. I would NEVER purchase a used RO unit! http://www.spectrapure.com/

brad

5 Year Member
How essential is a pressure gauge?

I will be getting one of these 2 units. Which would you guys advise?

shipping on this unit is 30$ which brings the price to about 130$
http://cgi.ebay.ca/AQUA-AQUARIUM-10...itemZ4443056479QQcategoryZ20684QQcmdZViewItem

This one is alittle cheaper costing 120$ with shipping. It has no pressure gauge which the previous vendor insists is essential. If I have to purchase it seperately, that puts the price up about 25$ to actually be more expensive than the first. However, I like the clear housing so I can see the filters. Other than that feature, I feel the first unit is superior.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Reverse-Osmosis-...itemZ4443162036QQcategoryZ20684QQcmdZViewItem

Zman, I looked at the link you gave me. They seem pricey. The cheapest I saw was still over 200$. Is there really that big of a difference from the ones I linked to above?

Is RO/DI much better than just RO?

Randall

5 Year Member
R/O units

Hello Brad,

One might expect that everyone responding to your inquiry has had different experiences with R/O units and uses them for different applications. From what I understand, an R/O unit is only as good as its membrane, so whichever unit you buy should benefit from a membrane that is factory tested. I understand that Spectra-Pure tests theirs.

As for the DI option, well, methinks that depends on what you're using the unit for in the first place. If it's your goal to simply soften water, for example, then perhaps the DI post filtration option is not necessary. If you're looking to breed fishes from extremely soft water, however (some wild Betta species, Nanochromis transvestitus, etc.), then the DI option may be a good idea.

As far as the pressure gauge goes, having one will enable you to operate your unit within optimal parameters.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

fishgeek

one thing to know before even considering purchasing an r/o is whether you have sufficent mains pressure for it to work

anything less than 30psi will not force the water through the membrane and results in very little r/o and lots of watse
ideally pressures above 45 psi are needed to get good recovery

otherwise a pump maybe required
thats why the site suggests the pressure guage

i got my system of an american supplier , had it 3-4 yr's and just replaced the r/o membrane with a larger one for more fish/water and am very happy with it

i looked long and hard when buying replacements and found a very large filter sales page, cant see it now!
it had almost everybrand of r/o membrane and multiple different pre filters at good price's

the membrane is the important thing, looking after it is then the most important thing

andrew

brad

5 Year Member
Alright, I think I`m splitting hairs on the 2 units I listed. I think I just need to pick one.

As for DI, my apistos knowledge is limited so I don`t think I NEED it. However, too many times I`ve purchased something that JUST suited my needs and was restricted. At least this way, if ever I want it, it`s there. Can I by pass it so I`m not using it up on fish like my cacs that don`t really need but use it for more fussy fish?

As for pressure, my well pressure tank kicks on at 40 and builds it back up to about 65. I can adjust that though. I then have a 100 mesh in line filter before the water goes anywhere else.

I imagine I`d want to tap in before the whole house water softener right?

fishgeek

ted suggests that the Na and Cl ions usually swapped into the water with softening are easier for the r/o to remove , so unless there is a big drop in pressure then maybe not

ted will be better informed on that than i though

andrew

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….