• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Quick question re: Cacatuoides temperature

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Hi just wondered what temperature people here have found optimum for breeding cacs - as with most things a thorough Google search returns a staggering amount of conflicting "definitive" advice! I've seen articles ranging from 29 degrees c all the way down to an article suggesting unheated tanks! My tank is currently sitting at 28 degrees according to new digital thermometer which I've tested and seems to be accurate to .5 of a degree c

regani

5 Year Member
I have had them breed in anything from 24 to 32 degrees. For breeding itself temperature is not that important in my experience, although they are a bit more prolific at higher temperatures. The main reason for changing the temp is probably to influence the m/f ratio in the fry

davidjp1982

Donating Member
I have had them breed in anything from 24 to 32 degrees. For breeding itself temperature is not that important in my experience, although they are a bit more prolific at higher temperatures. The main reason for changing the temp is probably to influence the m/f ratio in the fry
Hey thanks for reply - yes I read some similar thoughts about 79f being the optimum temperature for an evenly balanced mix of fry.

ErtyJr

Hey there, I keep my tanks at 80 degrees F. For you non-Americans who don't like to be original and pave your own paths, that's 26.7 C. My cacatuoides are very prolific at this temp and breed within days of me removing the current fry.

Other things I do are, cold water changes. When I do a water change its colder simulating rain. I also feed them lots of live foods. Hope it helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….