• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question on my Kribs

LindaMC

5 Year Member
Okay, the male and one of the females are starting to get cozy with one another, just like week the male was still chasing all three females but two days ago I began to notice that both of them are a lot more colorful and both of them are now chasing the other two females, who are still a bit smaller.

I just worry about them hurting the other two females, are they in danger? They don't seem to bother any of the other fish, I also have a pair of Blue Rams in the tank and a pair of Apistos Orange Flash. The apistos seem to stick together both male and female have taken over one of the clay pots, while the kribs are hanging out in one of the two coconut caves I have in the tank. Should I remover the other two females? I do not have room in my 10 gallon tank for them but I can bring them to my LFS and they will take them. If they might be in danger of being killed, I'd rather give them up and keep them safe.

If I do remove the other two female, is there a better chance of the male and female spawning?

Nick S.

5 Year Member
Move the females

It is my experience that you should remove the other 2 krib females as they will be harrassed and possibly killed by the pair. This pair you have if they are ready to spawn will be shimmying at each other and going in and out of there cave. But also driving off any other kribs.

Rey82

5 Year Member
Same experience

I have three pairs of kribs. I placed two males and two females in a thirty gallon tank with a trio of convicts. One male and a female started to pair off and chasing off the second pair. I thought that there would be sufficient amount of hiding spaces for all of them. They continued to attack only the other kribs in the tank....I had to remove the submissive pair of kribs and put them in a 10 gallon tank which I divided for two pairs of kribs for the time being. Kribs look like a very gentle species of cichlid but to my surprise they are very aggressive especially when trying to mate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….