• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

(pics / video) Sick Female Apistogramma Agassizii - red spots - rapid breathing - mouth open

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Can anyone help diagnose what is wrong with my female Apistogramma Agassizii - she has two red spots visible either side of her nose, she is rapid breathing with her mouth open. Her mouth looks quite red and raw inside and she is also slightly red under the gill and at the base of the fins near her gills. She is not eating at all and is always hiding in her cave. She tried to eat some flake earlier and went into a huge spasm as if it caused her great pain. Any advice welcome please! She has always breathed quite rapidly but has never showed any signs of ill health until now. I did freeze frozen blood worm yesterday about half a cube which I cut in half - could a worm be lodged inside her mouth?

20130329_122725.jpg
20130329_122741.jpg

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Forgot to mention - water parameters are:

Temp - 25 degrees
0 ammonia
7.2 ph
kh 180
gh 250
nitrate 0
nitrite 0

gerald

5 Year Member
Looks like probably a bacterial infection, and there's a good chance you will see abdominal bloating in the next few days or weeks. I would move her to a separate tank if you can.

... or she may be suffering from gaudy gravel syndrome |;>)

davidjp1982

Donating Member
hi thanks for the reply. she actually died this morning. i treated with salt and melafix and her mouth seemed to get better for a few days but she was still hiding and just poking her head out of the cave now and then. yesterday i found her floating upside down barely to swim. i moved her to a breeding trap to try and give her some shelter but found her dead this morning. and yes the gravel was inherited with the tank I thought I would keep it as bacteria boost on the new setup but really regret it now ! i want to swap to black gravel but am reluctant to do a big change and stress the fish and maybe recycle the tank ? ...

davidjp1982

Donating Member
also will my male be ok without a female and 3 platys in a 10g tank . should i get a new female for him sooner rather than later or wait until I get a larger tank and introduce a pair into the new territory ?

cichlidmac

For future reference you may want to thaw the bloodworms in a shot glass before feeding. When the worms absorb water they expand and could rupture your fishes stomach (I've heard). Also I would upgrade your tank to a 20g long, not only will your fish be happier but you can also swap the gravel. Just use your old filter media for an instant cycle.

Yes the male should be fine without a female, however he may not show his best colors without a mate around.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk 2

davidjp1982

Donating Member
For future reference you may want to thaw the bloodworms in a shot glass before feeding. When the worms absorb water they expand and could rupture your fishes stomach (I've heard). Also I would upgrade your tank to a 20g long, not only will your fish be happier but you can also swap the gravel. Just use your old filter media for an instant cycle.

Yes the male should be fine without a female, however he may not show his best colors without a mate around.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk 2

Yes I always thaw frozen food in a small tray of tank water.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….