• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to Apistos

kajacksonjr

Hey everyone. I'm new to Apistos but have had freshwater tanks for years. Was thinking it's about time to try and keep a nice Apistos pair. I'm from NY lower Westchester. Looking forward to learning more before taking the plunge and this looks like a great space. Here is a pic of the tank I'll probably be housing them in any thoughts are welcomed.
PXL_20220902_010147196.jpg

MacZ

Welcome to the board.

Nice looking tank, sadly not suitable for Apistogramma, except if you get a single specimen. Look around on the forum for how to correctly structure and setup an Apistogramma tank. Breaking lines of sight is highly important.

Something specific to your setup, what I just noticed: You have Seiryu rocks in your tank. Even if you take a domestic variant of a whitewater spoecies, rmove them and replace them with wood. The stuff raises KH and with it pH.
Also the preferred substrate for all dwarf cichlids is fine sand.

Here I have written in some more detail about this and linked to another thread with explanations.

anewbie

What size is the aquarium and what is your condition (gh/kh/tds/ph) ? On the surface that looks like a 20 high and a pair of borelli would probably work though a bit more structure would help in case you obtain a very aggressive female. Basically there need to be places the fish can comfortably hide from each other in case of aggression. Borelli prefer it a bit cooler - 76 would be good but not strictly required. Sand is beneficial and preferred but not strictly required; though it depends a bit on the species on how softness of this requirement. There are semi-pair forming species but if you intend to breed their requirements around water parameters are more rigid. With these species there is less male-female aggression during the breeding cycle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….