• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Bolivian Rams not eating and thin, parasites?

Not sure if my new bolivian rams have internal parasites. Not eating well.

• any

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • any

• any

• Total voters

nuimom

5 Year Member
Think my new Bolivian Rams were wild caught. They have great color and are on the thin side, they do not eat like the rams I have had, they pick here and there, but not very often. I have tried all foods and same response. Everyone else in tank spawning and healthy, so bummed if these are parasite loaded. My bad for not quarantining.
Any thoughts. Not sure what to treat for. This is end of the first week with them, they were shipped to shop last wed. I got them last sat. Thanks in advance for info :)

gerald

5 Year Member
Have you tried live foods? Mosquito larve, blackworms, grindal worms, fresh-hatched brine shrimp? Newly imported wild fish are often weak from starvation and stress, and need high-quality and tempting foods to make a recovery. Live foods are often best for this.

nuimom

5 Year Member
Have you tried live foods? Mosquito larve, blackworms, grindal worms, fresh-hatched brine shrimp? Newly imported wild fish are often weak from starvation and stress, and need high-quality and tempting foods to make a recovery. Live foods are often best for this.

cleardot.gif

I have offered newly hatched BBS but they don't want to chase them or even seem interested. I do see they tast frozen blood worms, but I get the impression they feel the same way about frozen food as I do.
I will hope this is just a leaning curve for them and I'll keep trying. Thank you for your input. I will keep you posted. It took me 5 months to get these fish, I am on Hawaii Island. I'm sure my fish shop owner will get back to me on what's what and what do do, but he is on the side that had more impact, may take a bit to hear from him, and understandably so, glad I have this site :)))

nuimom

5 Year Member
cleardot.gif

I have offered newly hatched BBS but they don't want to chase them or even seem interested. I do see they tast frozen blood worms, but I get the impression they feel the same way about frozen food as I do.
I will hope this is just a leaning curve for them and I'll keep trying. Thank you for your input. I will keep you posted. It took me 5 months to get these fish, I am on Hawaii Island. I'm sure my fish shop owner will get back to me on what's what and what do do, but he is on the side that had more impact, may take a bit to hear from him, and understandably so, glad I have this site :)))

Update. just spoke with the fish shop, he didn't think they were wild caught and the ones in store are eating flakes. I think there may just be too much co-motion for them in my tank with everything spawning, if they have been farm raised and only with their own kind. Think this will just be an adjustment for them. Corys and Rasboras have taken a spawning break today and I do see them picking at the gravel more, still timid as they need to get use to this tank and other fish. Was happy to hear he didn't think I had to worry about internal parasites, back, I dodged a bullet on that one.
Thank you Gerald for your feedback :)

nuimom

5 Year Member
If all your other fish have been spawning, then there's another reason why the rams might not be hungry.

Why, because they are eating all the fresh new eggs and possibly fry :) lol. must be, but didn't much eating activity til yesterday, a pick here and there was all.
I saw yesterday they are defining territories too and the dominant male has taken a coconut hut to use as a sentry post, it has windows and doors and he keeps a look out for them and then charges the approacher, funny to watch, and no harm done. He owns 3/4 of the tank, the female has the front left, sub-male back left. They are getting use to the spawning action and at times follow the corys. So happy they are settling in.

nuimom

5 Year Member
If all your other fish have been spawning, then there's another reason why the rams might not be hungry.

Gerald you are spot on, I just did a gravel / wc and have lots of tiny Panda Cory fry, saved as many as I could,, but most will be fish food as we know anyway. Somehow some seem to survive. Thanks for your input, Laura

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….