• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Apistos in New Zealand

Jordan

Hi all,

In the last few months I have gotten some new apistos not seen in NZ for at least 15 years or more.

I have Hongsloi and Bitaeniata which are breeding in a colony situation quite successfully, 2 males and 4 females of each in tanks with lots of leaves, sticks and driftwood.

Just today I had Elizabethae and Borelli delivered from the wholesalers, 2 males and 4 females of each.

I have done my research on both species, I'm confident with breeding the Borelli as they are unfussy and will breed in most standard aquarium parameters, however I am looking for more information on breeding the Elizabethae, from my understanding they need quite a low pH, which is not difficult for me, I can quite easily get it below 5 using my standard tap water and some botanicals.

I believe the Elizabethae are Sao Gabriel, due to the coloration, collection locations were not given to the supplier.

are there any more tips on breeding these guys? Out of 20 come into NZ I have my hands on 6 and would like to establish them more.

thanks in advance.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Given proper water values A. elizabethae are not especially difficult to spawn. The problem most hobbyists have is raising the fry for the first week or two. This is why one rarely sees domestic fish offered for sale. The fry seem very sensitive to poor water quality so careful feeding and frequent, small water changes with close-to-identical water is important. One apistophile I know succeeded by feeding the fry with an eyedropper and counting each BBS added to the tank.

My guess is that your A. elizabethae were collected in the Rio Uaupes. The 'Sao Gabriel' name is from the town where the collecting station is - not the actual collecting location.

Jordan

Given proper water values A. elizabethae are not especially difficult to spawn. The problem most hobbyists have is raising the fry for the first week or two. This is why one rarely sees domestic fish offered for sale. The fry seem very sensitive to poor water quality so careful feeding and frequent, small water changes with close-to-identical water is important. One apistophile I know succeeded by feeding the fry with an eyedropper and counting each BBS added to the tank.

My guess is that your A. elizabethae were collected in the Rio Uaupes. The 'Sao Gabriel' name is from the town where the collecting station is - not the actual collecting location.

Thank you very much.

Once again Mike, your encyclopaedia of knowledge has been very helpful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….