• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nannacara taenia

M

MyRon

I have a pair of Nannacara taenia that spawn about every 2 weeks. After 3 days the eggs are gone. Two weeks later the pair spawn agian. This has been going on for 4 cycles. The water is ph 6.7 with a conductivity of 35 micro semins, with peat in the box filter. Any idea whey the eggs disappear

Randall

5 Year Member
N. taenia Eggs

Dear MyRon,

This is a tuffy.

At first, I thought your eggs may be disappearing because the carbonate hardness level is too high, which might prevent the eggs from being fertilized or from developing properly, so the parents eat them. But at 35 microsiemens, this is probably not the case.

My next thought is at 76 degrees F., the eggs are probably hatching after about 48 hours. Are the parents moving the larvae to another location? If the parents are still displaying their spawning coloration after the eggs disappear, they may be moving the developing embryos somewhere secretive for safe keeping.

My third and last thought is are your pair very young? With young or new parents, sometimes it takes them a few times to get it right.

Please keep up with once weekly partial water changes to keep the water as clean as possible. This may help the situation.

Keep the faith!

Randall Kohn

2la

5 Year Member
Can we assume that their are no other fish or invertebrates in the tank? If so, have you noticed the eggs turning white (i.e., fungusing over)?

Neil

MyRon,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

If the answer to 21as questions is no, then you still need to give these fish a few more chances. Cichlids are complex animals and have very different personalities. Even if their eggs are viable, they behaviorally may need some experience. I am assuming that your fish are yound and this is their first exposure to spawning. N. taenia eggs should be fine in the water conditions that you state, but you may want to drop the pH a bit. I am not sure about the peat with these fish, but some fish are a little sensative to humic acid. There are things that you can play with, but be patient. Good luck!
Neil

M

MyRon

I purchased a group of 5, then after 1 disapeared I remowed the rejected one until a pair was left. The pair have spawned 5 times that I have seen. They are the only resident of a tank that is 16"x21" x15". After 3 days the female is back to her normal colour. The other 2 are in a35 gal. plant tank with a pair of Apisto. cruzi and a few tetras, & doing fine.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….