• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My male Apistogramma cacatuoides not interested in female

zapa0528

Hi everyone, I’m new here and just want to ask if what I think is true. About two weeks ago I bought a pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides and it seams like he is not interested in her. She flirts with him and he’s not responding.

Is he too shy or too young? He’s about 5 cm (2inches) and don’t know how old because I just bought them at the pet store.

One more question. Is he going to get more colorful fin?

My tank is not big enough for them I know that for sure. It’s only 60 liters but it was sitting in my basement for years so I decided to use it and have a natural aquarium. I’ve never had Apisto before and it’s going to be a nice adventure for sure

Best from Norway

Attachments

• IMG_1478.jpeg
    IMG_1478.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1476.jpeg
    IMG_1476.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 30

zapa0528

Welcome. Are these photos of the same fish? These look like standard domestic double red cacatuoides. The color probably will in improve.
Hello, thank you for your answer. Yes, it’s the same fish and that’s exactly wheat I was told double red Do you think he’s old enough to spawn?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I would say that he is sexually mature. Why he is not interested I can't say without more information on your breeding tank. As for improving his color you will need to increase the amount of color enhancing ingredients in the food they eat.

zapa0528

I would say that he is sexually mature. Why he is not interested I can't say without more information on your breeding tank. As for improving his color you will need to increase the amount of color enhancing ingredients in the food they eat.

zapa0528

I saw him following her to the coconut shell yesterday
He’s just eating tetra tabimin. I don’t think it’s enough for him. He doesn’t eat frozen mosquito larvae that she loves to eat. I think I should try to buy some frozen daphnia and artemia. Maybe tubifex ?
I bought tetra cichlid food but he’s not that much into it.
What would you recommend?

Attachments

• IMG_1488.png
    IMG_1488.png
    474.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1489.png
    IMG_1489.png
    733.4 KB · Views: 7

MacZ

He’s just eating tetra tabimin. I don’t think it’s enough for him. He doesn’t eat frozen mosquito larvae that she loves to eat. I think I should try to buy some frozen daphnia and artemia. Maybe tubifex ?
I bought tetra cichlid food but he’s not that much into it.
Stay off standard dry foods and especially Tetra if you can. And if he doesn't go for anything else, up to 4 days without it are not a problem. After that he should also be going for frozen foods.
If you are feeding red mosquito larvae, switch to white ones. We don't understand the mechanism in full yet, but red ones have a high chance of killing dwarf cichlids. Otherwise Artemia, Daphina, Mysis, grindal worms... all of these also live and not frozen. Tubifex only in small doses and frozen, live Tubifex potentially carry diseases. Freeze dried is also an option.
Concerning dry foods: It's the first time I read the main ingredient is milk with that Tetra stuff. From the best in the Trade in the 80s to bottom shelf nowerdays... wow. Look out for dry foods that do not contain grains, fishmeal, legumes and starchy stuff in the first 5 ingredients.
Good ones are mainly based on insect (larvae), crustaceans, molluscs and other invertebrates as main ingredients. I don't know where you live so I can't recommend brands. (which I generally avoid, as product specs are more important than a brand name. I gladly take a generic if the ingredients are right)

zapa0528

Stay off standard dry foods and especially Tetra if you can. And if he doesn't go for anything else, up to 4 days without it are not a problem. After that he should also be going for frozen foods.
If you are feeding red mosquito larvae, switch to white ones. We don't understand the mechanism in full yet, but red ones have a high chance of killing dwarf cichlids. Otherwise Artemia, Daphina, Mysis, grindal worms... all of these also live and not frozen. Tubifex only in small doses and frozen, live Tubifex potentially carry diseases. Freeze dried is also an option.
Concerning dry foods: It's the first time I read the main ingredient is milk with that Tetra stuff. From the best in the Trade in the 80s to bottom shelf nowerdays... wow. Look out for dry foods that do not contain grains, fishmeal, legumes and starchy stuff in the first 5 ingredients.
Good ones are mainly based on insect (larvae), crustaceans, molluscs and other invertebrates as main ingredients. I don't know where you live so I can't recommend brands. (which I generally avoid, as product specs are more important than a brand name. I gladly take a generic if the ingredients are right)
Thanks

zapa0528

Thanks for your reply I live in Norway and where I live is almost impossible to buy live food for fish. That’s why I must get frozen ones I’ll try Artemia and daphnia and see how it goes with him. I made this tank natural one so I suspect that they both are feeding on whatever lives in there as well. He looks a bit pale to me. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_1477.jpeg
    IMG_1477.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1476.jpeg
    IMG_1476.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13

MacZ

Thanks for your reply I live in Norway and where I live is almost impossible to buy live food for fish
Værsågod!
Inner citiy or countryside? I bet @Tom C has some ideas for you where to go and collect live food yourself. Only takes some pond or puddles and I know from personal experience you have lots of mosquitos in Norway in the summer. ;)

I made this tank natural one so I suspect that they both are feeding on whatever lives in there as well.
Exactly my approach, but more than some microworms and infusoria are likely not present. The fish chew mulm and sand for that. Most will be biofilms and detritus. You might want to add more leaf litter. You don't have a lot of mulm.

And a little edit:
So you live in Norway... You should be able to get dry foods by Sera (they have an insect based one that is okay-ish) and Fluval (Bug Bites). Take those as your benchmark.

Last edited:

zapa0528

Værsågod!
Inner citiy or countryside? I bet @Tom C has some ideas for you where to go and collect live food yourself. Only takes some pond or puddles and I know from personal experience you have lots of mosquitos in Norway in the summer. ;)

Exactly my approach, but more than some microworms and infusoria are likely not present. The fish chew mulm and sand for that. Most will be biofilms and detritus. You might want to add more leaf litter. You don't have a lot of mulm.

And a little edit:
So you live in Norway... You should be able to get dry foods by Sera (they have an insect based one that is okay-ish) and Fluval (Bug Bites). Take those as your benchmark.
I live more on the country side about 50 km from Oslo. Forests and lakes close by
Have you been to Norway? If yes where?

You know, I consider to make a resurrection jar Collect some mud and leaves from a pond or lake and see what happens!

Yes I’m familiar with Sera products. I’m may try

MacZ

I live more on the country side about 50 km from Oslo. Forests and lakes close by
Have you been to Norway? If yes where?
Twice for scientific conferences, one in Bergen and one in Trondheim. But only 2-3 days each, in Bergen we were housed outside the city, can't remember the exact place.
Anyhow, going through a pond with a net should yield quite a lot at this time of the year. Mostly black/white mosquito larvae, daphnia, ostracods and cyclops. All good fish food. Just make sure you don't accidently get any water bugs or dragonfly larvae. I recommend using different sieves to sort those out.

You know, I consider to make a resurrection jar Collect some mud and leaves from a pond or lake and see what happens!
Excellent idea, maybe take a vessel of at least 10-20 liters.

Yes I’m familiar with Sera products. I’m may try
The stuff I meant is called insect nature.

And Tusen takk!!!
Sure! :D I would answer in Norwegian if I could, but I only speak a bit Dansk and can read Old Norse. I only know the absolute basics of Norsk and Svensk.

zapa0528

Twice for scientific conferences, one in Bergen and one in Trondheim. But only 2-3 days each, in Bergen we were housed outside the city, can't remember the exact place.
Anyhow, going through a pond with a net should yield quite a lot at this time of the year. Mostly black/white mosquito larvae, daphnia, ostracods and cyclops. All good fish food. Just make sure you don't accidently get any water bugs or dragonfly larvae. I recommend using different sieves to sort those out.

Excellent idea, maybe take a vessel of at least 10-20 liters.

The stuff I meant is called insect nature.

Sure! :D I would answer in Norwegian if I could, but I only speak a bit Dansk and can read Old Norse. I only know the absolute basics of Norsk and Svensk.
No problem at all. We should use English here anyway Have a great weekend and thanks for advice!

How is your tank doing? What kind of Apisto have you?

MacZ

No problem at all. We should use English here anyway Have a great weekend and thanks for advice!
Exactly, and a great Weekend to you, too.

How is your tank doing? What kind of Apisto have you?
Tank's doing ok, very low stocking at the moment, as I'm letting two species (Nannostomus eques and Hemigrammus filamentosus) die out, which I want to replace. And I'm keeping Dicrossus filamentosus at the moment, not Apistogramma. Those I care for in the fishroom of a friend sometimes. I haven't been to his place in over a month, last time he had 7 species in the breeding section and 2 others in his display tanks. Guess that's still the case, as he hasn't sent me any updates lately.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macmasterman

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(