• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My first apistos

MaryPa

5 Year Member
I`ve had fresh water fish for quite awhile but just got my first apistogrammas last week.I was told they were a pair of Borelli and their color will show after they get settled in my tank.....Well the color has shown alot on the female and she looks nothing like a borelli to me,but then what do i know.She is a lovely yellow with shiney black sorta checkered pattern on her.I`m keeping them no matte what apisto they are but now i need help finding they name :?

MaryPa

5 Year Member
They look nothing like a borelli.He is a pale ywllow with dark greenish dorsal fin and red where the tail meets the body.She has a extremely black face and is black and yellow chechered from her lateral line up.What could they be?

Neil

MaryPa,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

We may need a little more info r ideally a pic to help sort out the identity of these fish.
There are a few apistos that have a reddish spot at the base of their tail. The closest looking one to borellii is hongsloi. hongsloi could also have a pale yellow body, but i don't think I have ever seen one with a green dorsal fin.
As far as the female goes, the black face is unusual. Are there more than one with this characteristic?
I kind of think that not only have they mislabeled the species but also the genus. Might not be Apistogramma that we are talking about here.
Neil

MaryPa

5 Year Member
Thanks for the welcome Neil.Oh yes they`re really apistogrammas.They were both pale when i bought them last week.I think they went into breeding mode almost instantly after i brought them home.She looka like a black checkered fish above her lateral line.The male stayed about the same but between his tail fin and his body turned red and his dorsal fin turned green.I know she has eggs in her coconut shell.She`s also keeping him out of the shell now...

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….