• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

my 1st rams

Neil

farm41,
Sorry to hear that. But, you got further than most do on one of their first tries!!! :D
I think that, if it were me, I would pull the FEMALE early after free-swimming next time. Rams especially are Dwarf Cichlid rabbits and the female quite often can't be bothered with the old when the new is coming. I think that she was the one that picked them off and that the male has shown his desire to guard. I won't guarantee that it will work, but odds are that it will. If you don't want to rear them artificially (which is a pain) then I think you should give the male the chance to prove me right on my "the male is just as good as the female" theory. :roll: Good luck. A new spawn is probably already on the way.
Neil

farm41

5 Year Member
Thanks all for the help and words of encouragement, now it's time to get going on another batch. I am going to be ready for them this time.

farm41

5 Year Member
They decided to give me another chance, I have wigglers again. This time I have watched the male move the wigglers to the sponge filter and the female follows him over there and picks them up and brings them back to the corner of the tank. I decided to remove the male, before I reread this and now I see maybe I should have moved the female. Oh well, we shall see.

aspen

5 Year Member
don't worry they will spawn again. once the wrigglers are big enough to locate food, you can move the pair to another 10 gal, and start over again. but- don't mess with success. if the female does the job, continue to leave her in. but, ime, the male does a better job.

rick

farm41

5 Year Member
Here we go again, more wigglers. This time the female is going to get moved.

Good thing they give me so many chances. Someday maybe I can get this right, or just get lucky.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….