• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male or female Fire Red?

aartorias

Hello all! I recently ordered online a male/female pair of Apistogramma agassizii Double Red. However, while I did receive a male Double Red, the other one is a Fire Red! Unfortunately at this point, I'm not sure if the other one is a male or female (if you can believe it, I can't quite trust what the seller sent me anymore haha)

I tried to take a bunch of pictures to show finnage but they're a little flighty once they see the phone come out.

They're currently in a 20g long. What I REALLY need to know is if I have to set up another 20g? If I have to, I will. I just want to give these guys the best life they can live.

Let me know if you need more pictures. Or if it's just not possible at this point.

IMG_3456.JPG
IMG_3454.JPG

ConnersFish

Would you be willing to message me where you actually ordered those from? I have been on the hunt for some fire reds and would love to give it a shot even though it might be rolling the dice for what I receive lol

anewbie

In most cases you can keep two males in a 20 long if there is no female. If you add a female and the 2nd one turns out to be a male (not sure if it is male or female); then you will likely need a 2nd tank. I did manage to keep two males hongsloi with females in a 29 but they grew up together as fry and it was an uncomfortable environment for the 2nd male.

aartorias

In most cases you can keep two males in a 20 long if there is no female. If you add a female and the 2nd one turns out to be a male (not sure if it is male or female); then you will likely need a 2nd tank. I did manage to keep two males hongsloi with females in a 29 but they grew up together as fry and it was an uncomfortable environment for the 2nd male.
Thanks for the input. She turned out to be female because they immediately started spawning like, the next day. They're currently still living together.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….