• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lessons Learned (and learning)

RHS788

5 Year Member
Interesting if you read through my threads, you will see the pattern of newbie, learning phase, figuring out fry and food, figuring out health, and now figuring out what to do next.

I just sold about 200 fish-nearly all I had (mostly fry, yet also a bunch of good, orange blaze and triple red adults and "teenagers"). All I have left are three rams, 1 ram fry, and 6 caca fry (triple red, but the fry I kept are white).

This all happened as the result of a number of things which all newbies should note in the learning curve. Mentors could possibly also benefit as the coaches of newbies.
1) too many fish, too quick, too much food, and too much odor.
2) I have noted in asking questions about the "gross" topics of raising fish there are few responses. I don't blame people, because experienced folks read that stuff and likely think people like me are stupid. (Actually we may be, but are more inexperienced, thus ignorant.) These are still important questions, and newbies, like me, needed to learn about such topics to be successful.
3) Keeping tanks clean can be a lot of time and work, and it is easy to overfeed, especially when dealing with microworms, and other live food. I still wish I had a better, overall plan.
4) My wife has allergy problems and let me know the aquariums were aggravating her allergies. I don't think the tanks were the root of the problem, (but could have been); however any odor from tanks in correlation with pollen is not a good thing. Good bye fish.

Since, I have taken down 2 55 gallon tanks, a couple 10 gallon tanks, and am trying to re-evaluate.

So in summary, although I did not post this to newbies, it is important to note that taking it somewhat slow is valuable, and there is much to learn. Meanwhile, I enjoy looking at the few fry, wondering what they will look like as adults, and am remembering this, along with the enjoyment of getting my mind off of work is why I got into this in the first place.

Thanks for everyone's support.

Randy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….