• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Kribs spawned

L

lighting

Hi guys can any one help me out my kribs spawned a few days ago and the fry are free swiming now .do i leave the male and female in with them or do i move them at the moment they are taking good care of the fry and taking them around the tank which is well planted . any help welcome on all aspects of raiseing krib fry.

Nick S.

5 Year Member
Spawned

Good for you. If the parents are leading them around I would leave them for a while, at least until the fry are taking regular food and grow a bit.

dhm325

5 Year Member
Congratulations. How big is your tank? I usually keep the parents with the fry for 5-6 weeks. If the parents start to fight you should remove one or both of them. What else do you have in the tank? Are there any other fish that would eat the fry if given a chance?

L

lighting

Nick S. said:
Good for you. If the parents are leading them around I would leave them for a while, at least until the fry are taking regular food and grow a bit.
Thanks for the advice the fry are starting to take dried and frozen food. but not growing all that big yet.thanks layton.

L

lighting

dhm325 said:
Congratulations. How big is your tank? I usually keep the parents with the fry for 5-6 weeks. If the parents start to fight you should remove one or both of them. What else do you have in the tank? Are there any other fish that would eat the fry if given a chance?
Thanks for the advice .the tank is 30 gallon tank and in there i,ve got 2 plecs, a pair dwarf agassizs, 2 emperor tetras, 2 corydoras, 1 loach,1 red eyed tetra, and a dwarf jewel. the tank is well planted and has lots of hideing places. and i forgot the sliver doller.

dhm325

5 Year Member
All of the other fish in your tank (except mayby the plecos -- you don't say what kind they are) are fry predators. They will pick off the fry. The kribs will do their best to defend the young and you may have some left. If you have another tank, I would move the other fish. The best time to do it is at night when the fry are in their cave and the other fish are 'asleep.' Kribs are good parents they will try to kill the other fish-- another reason to move them. Also, the cory's are tough and your kribs may injure themselves attacking them.

L

lighting

dhm325 said:
All of the other fish in your tank (except mayby the plecos -- you don't say what kind they are) are fry predators. They will pick off the fry. The kribs will do their best to defend the young and you may have some left. If you have another tank, I would move the other fish. The best time to do it is at night when the fry are in their cave and the other fish are 'asleep.' Kribs are good parents they will try to kill the other fish-- another reason to move them. Also, the cory's are tough and your kribs may injure themselves attacking them.
The plecs are comman ones and the tank is split into two so the kribs are away from the rest of fish so they cant mix with each other.when will i know when to move the male and female from the fry?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….