• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ivanacara bimaculata

blueblue

5 Year Member
Ivanacara bimaculata: The last fish in my wish list that i could not find in the markets from Japan and Europe, ... has anybody here seen the real fish before? I wonder how difficult it is to catch this species in Guyana... My friends who are doing trading in apistos could get adoketa wildcaught but not bimaculata...

peterK

5 Year Member
As far as I remember Adoketa is quite rare in the wild, and it's difficult to get them in Europe. So, since it's impossible to get them in the Eu (and other parts of the world), I. bimaculta must be very rare in Guyana.

Piotr>>>

blueblue

5 Year Member
As far as I remember Adoketa is quite rare in the wild, and it's difficult to get them in Europe. So, since it's impossible to get them in the Eu (and other parts of the world), I. bimaculta must be very rare in Guyana.

Piotr>>>

Thanks Piotr. Actually, it is not that true. Let me share with you a case. Recently, as wildcaught adoketa is very hot in Hong Kong, many people are looking for it. A trader in Hong Kong sent a message to three exporters in South America that he's willing to pay and get wildcaught adoketa for whatever price ... after 1 month, the fishmen caught 8 for him even during the time when the water level was not low and water temperature was cool. Moreover, japanese teams, e.g., K2, have caught a lot of wildcaught adoketa of all sizes this year, too. :)

For I. bimaculata, the challenge is: It is outside Brasil, and it looks like some other dwarf cichlids... .. . i hope the japanese teams will go there someday and catch some for the hobby :)

peterK

5 Year Member
Ok, so I must go to Hong Kong to buy some adoketas:wink: For example from you^.^

Piotr>>>

blueblue

5 Year Member
Ok, so I must go to Hong Kong to buy some adoketas:wink: For example from you^.^

Piotr>>>

haha... by the way, i have heard of a piece of news (or rumour?!) that they might be a relatively big export of wildcaught adoketa from Brasil in the coming fall, the price will also be lower... maybe hobbyists around the world could check it up. Adoketa is a fish which deserves our attention. :)

peterK

5 Year Member
haha... by the way, i have heard of a piece of news (or rumour?!) that they might be a relatively big export of wildcaught adoketa from Brasil in the coming fall, the price will also be lower... maybe hobbyists around the world could check it up. Adoketa is a fish which deserves our attention. :)
If yes, they should be available in the Netherlands or Germany. So, maybe some of Polish aquarists would like to import them from NL or GER to Poland, and I would keep a pair^.^

Piotr>>>

P.S. Sorry for the Off Topic :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Ivanacara adoketa appears to be rare over its entire range, but where found it exists in fair numbers. This could be a danger for the species. Populations could be collected to extinction in areas where it is known to occur if the demand remains high and domestic reproduction low.

Ivanacara bimaculata, seems to be a similarly rare fish. As far as I know it has only been collected twice - the original holotype collected by Eigenmann & Shideler in 1908 and several females by Vermeulen & Snyker in 1997. Both collections come from the same locality: Potaro River near Erukin, Guyana. Several hobbyists have made trips to this area, which is difficult to reach, but have come back empty handed.

blueblue

5 Year Member
If yes, they should be available in the Netherlands or Germany. So, maybe some of Polish aquarists would like to import them from NL or GER to Poland, and I would keep a pair^.^

Piotr>>>

P.S. Sorry for the Off Topic :)

^.^ Or alternatively, if you will stop by Hong Kong, i could also bring you a pair of my adoketa's F1... i am now keeping 4 breeding pairs, collected from all sources... hehee

blueblue

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike. Hmm, for adoketa, actually, the teams have explored many places and there are several recent exports from new locality (e.g., if you
take a look at the webpage of basilaqua.com.tw).

For bimaculata, it is a fish i am hunting for years while i believe that i will finally get it some time in the future. Maybe i will then spread this species all around the hobby, as what i did for diplo, eliza, and adoketa in Hong Kong, hehee :)

Ivanacara adoketa appears to be rare over its entire range, but where found it exists in fair numbers. This could be a danger for the species. Populations could be collected to extinction in areas where it is known to occur if the demand remains high and domestic reproduction low.

Ivanacara bimaculata, seems to be a similarly rare fish. As far as I know it has only been collected twice - the original holotype collected by Eigenmann & Shideler in 1908 and several females by Vermeulen & Snyker in 1997. Both collections come from the same locality: Potaro River near Erukin, Guyana. Several hobbyists have made trips to this area, which is difficult to reach, but have come back empty handed.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….