• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this a steelblue???

ste12000

5 Year Member
Hi all, i asumed the apisto's in my tank were Borelli i bought them as such and had no reason to believe otherwise. However i have spoken to microman who obviously knows his stuff and he informs me that they are infact Steelblues and are a hybrid created in Singapore!
Does anyone else know anymore interesting facts about these as i like to know as much as possible about the species i keep. Thanks.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tWJ7m4Hp37Q

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
Yes, it´s a "steel blue".

The easiest method for distinguish the two species is in the tail fin. A. borellii have a caudal without spot pattern. A. sp. "steel blue" have a pattern of spots on that fin.

ste12000

5 Year Member
Thanks for that. Well even though they are not the Borelli i first thought i had bought, they are proving very easy to keep and breed, i currently have 80 fry from these that are growing on in my fishroom and another 4 females in my discus tank that are struggling to protect their young. Due to a lack of space i cannot syphon any of these out so they will eventually be eaten.
Shame, but thats how it will be until i can afford to extend the fishroom. My Corydoras sterbai will not stop breeding and i am growing on hundreds of small cats...They might just help pay for the planned expansion...

ste12000

5 Year Member
Yes of course i can.. Here it is
Apistobabies7.jpg

Male

femalesteelblue.jpg

Female

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hillberg

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(