• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is it ok to have only one male of a species of apistogramma ? ( A. flabellicauda)

Saparat555

Is it ok to have only one male of a species of apistogramma?
I'm getting a w/c A.flabellicauda, but it seems I can't get any females. Are there any bad effect on their behaviour, coloration, and other things?

Should I buy 2 males instead of 1 ? I already have a pair of A.eliabethae in the tank. Will the pair of elizabethae help with the problem that I don't have female?

They are so beautiful.:eek:
1613039250038.png

Image by Curtis Johnson via pinterest

Attachments

• 1613039263133.png
    1613039263133.png
    688.7 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

MacZ

Stick with one, it's fine. Maybe some enrichment might be missed out due to lack of social behaviour, but that's it.

MacZ

Depending on the size of the tank, the elizabethae, especially the male, will not appreciate another male of any species intruding into its territory.

I just realised the OP meant both species in the same tank, I was talking about just a male A. flabellicauda on its own in a tank.
In that case I agree with Mike.

Saparat555

I just realised the OP meant both species in the same tank, I was talking about just a male A. flabellicauda on its own in a tank.
In that case I agree with Mike.
Depending on the size of the tank, the elizabethae, especially the male, will not appreciate another male of any species intruding into its territory.
Thanks for your reply :) The tank is 40 gallon. If there is too much agression between them, I will temporaily move him to my 20 g hospital tank.

MacZ

I would do separate tanks from the start. There are some things I wouldn't even think of risking.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….