• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID this

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It is difficult to be sure without seeing the female and the throat area of the fish. My guess is that it is A. sp. Black-chin/Schwarzkinn. This is the fish most commonly sold as A. juruensis. It is not the real A. juruensis, that's for sure.

kross

5 Year Member
You're right Mike. It was sold as A.Juruensis (only male available) at one of the LFS here..... My suspicion arise when I first saw a very similar male sold at another LFS (pretty reputable) stating as A. sp. Black-chin. I guess I'll just have to settle with this A. sp. Black-chin... :roll:

By the way, how can one tell the difference between a genuine A.Juruensis and A. sp. Black-chin? Would appreciate some advice...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
OK. A. sp. Black-chin has a darker, larger black patch on the throat and chin than A. juruensis. This black chin marking almost completley disappears on displaying A. juruensis males. A. juruensis has a shorter face (distance between the eye and mouth), more stripes in the tail fin of the male, and a blue lower lip (like A. cacatuoides). A. sp. Black-chin has a red or orange lower lip. When I look at fish listed as A. juruensis I check for the color of the lower lip and the sized of the throat patch.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hard to say for sure. I never like to use colors for identifications as a rule. The orange lips - so far - are only found on A. sp. Black-chin/Schwarzkinn. Blue lips - so far - are only found on A. juruensis. Since the true A. juruensis is very rare in the hobby & the fish has orange lips, I would say that Max's fish in the photo is A. sp. Black-chin.

Zapisto

5 Year Member
kross said:

this fish is usually sell as A. cf juruensis

and if you check the name on the pics A. sp. juruensis .

i really think mike is rigth this fish is not a true A. juruensis.

Mike i will take some pics of a male i have here (wild) who seem to follow all your description of the true juruensis.

i am curious to know if it is one or not.

kross

5 Year Member
Mike i will take some pics of a male i have here (wild) who seem to follow all your description of the true juruensis.

i am curious to know if it is one or not.

wow, i'm curious to know too.... pls post it here. :wink:

kross

5 Year Member
Don, you got a great fish there. :) However, base on Mike's description of a true A.Juruensis, it seems the like the lips aren't blue and i could almost see the dark patch on the chin.... then again, i could be wrong.

Would be nice if you can post its mature look...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OzzynHarriet

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….