• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hybridization

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Anyone know what the chances of Pelv. subocellatus crossing with Pelv. taeniatus or Pelv. pulcher are? I've got a couple pairs coming in and am trying to determine which tank(s) they will eventually call home. I'd prefer to keep them with the other westies, but I have mixed apistos and WA before without any significant issues...other than people telling me I can't do that :)

Randall

5 Year Member
Pelvicachromis Hybridization

Dear Ken,

You shouldn't have any hybridization problems with the Pelvicachromis forms you listed, but just to make sure, it might not be a good idea to mix the pulcher form with the taeniatus. The females, especially when young, can be difficult to distinguish from one another.

Randall Kohn

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Randall,

Thanks. I have heard of the taeniatus and the pulcher crossing, but wasn't sure of the subocellatus. As you were telling Orchid about the Lobe, the Pelvicachromis form almost unbreakable pair bonds. I do have a pair of the taeniatus 'Mahone' a pair of kribs currently housed together. They came for other tanks and have already paired and spawned previously and haven't given each other a second look other than bickering of the prime real estate. The kribs are currently herding around a few fry. I don't think I would attempt to throw a group of juveniles together and let them pair off, that could get messy. Hopefully, the subocellatus 'Moanda' and 'Matadi' will develop their pairing while going through the quarantine process (In seperate tanks) and be bonded when they come out. At that point, I think it would just be a matter of compatible tankmates and water conditions.

Thanks again,
Ken

Randall

5 Year Member
Moanda?

Dear Ken,

Did you say that you're getting P. subocellatus Moanda? You rat! Why didn't you tell me? Please keep me in mind when it's fry time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….