• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hongsloi m/f identification

barcod21

Hello, it's been a couple of years since I've had Apistogramma but I recently setup a tank with my kids and couldn't resist when I saw this male at the LFS. I was told this is a m/f pair of Apistogramma Hongsloi. I believe the colorful one is a male Hongsloi but I'm starting to wonder if the other is the same species or even female.

For the most part, they share the tank ok and often will be near each other but the less colorful one is definitely more aggressive than the colorful one. Once in a while the less colorful one will dart at the colorful one from out of know where. I've seen it for no reason and also when the colorful one is eating something he finds on the bottom (algae wafer, pellet food, etc..). Typically, 'she" doesn't make contact with the colorful one but definitely scares him away. She usually doesn't continue to chase him but might dart at him several times in a row. Typically, right after this, the colorful one will be right next to the less colorful one and there is no tension or aggression. The less colorful one does go inside the caves a lot more than the colorful one but neither of them stays in the caves for long periods of time. In the second picture I put a small mirror up to the glass to see how they would react. They both stayed in front of it and showed off but there was never aggression toward the other. Can anyone confirm if these are truly the same species and if they are indeed male and female?

20230204_174344.jpg

20230204_175418.jpg

Aquaticloch

First of all, thats a nice male apistogramma hongsloi and a nannacara anomala female. I have no clue how that mix-up occurred, but they are incompatible together.

I know that others answering this thread will likely be quite harsh about the substrate, lack of live plants, decor, and hardscape as well as stocking, which is valid. Some things to note are;

1. sand is appropriate for apistos as they sift sand through their gills to feed and need minute sized grains for this behaviour.

2. neon and brightly coloured decor may be engaging for kids, but it's stressful for the fish, and the sharp edges on the fake plants and decor can cause cuts and injuries for the fish.

3. Live plants are great for fish, they provide areas for stressed fish to hide, fry to grow, as well as looking pleasant and helping keep the water clean and well oxygenated.

4. From what I can see, you require more wood and sight blocks in the aquarium, as well as caves for each fish to feel safe. You can add large pieces of driftwood or plants, but ideally the fish shouldnt be able to see the opposite side of the aquarium.

The tank definitely isnt suitable for apistos as is, I would recommend returning them or changing the aquarium (which can be expensive and may not be as engaging to the kids.) I think everyone impulse buys fish at some point, but researching fish and their needs is paramount before you put them in a stressful situation.

Goodluck :), I'm sure others will add more info.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….