• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help to identify from picture

R

-RR-

Can anyone help a newbie identify this fish?
It is about 2" long now, and a bit aggressive.
cichlid3.jpg

THANKS!

Neil

-RR-,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

That does, indeed, look to be a N. brichardi. However, there are about 20 different collection location types of this fish, as I recall. The way to pin down the exact type of brichardi that you have is to get ahold of copy of Ad Konings "Tanganyika Cichlids in their natural habitat". This book goes into these fish (and everything else) in depth. Great book!
Neil

R

-RR-

Thanks!
I am getting back into fish after 10 years without any!
I need to start small with a 20 gal tank/ eclipse filter hood.
Right now I just have the Brichardi , a rainbow shark, and 4 dither fish (pearl danios). I realise my tank size is small.... but I was hoping that It would support 2-3 dwarf cichlids if I chose them carefully? My tank has a lot of stacked stone in it with many cave/tunnel areas.

Would my Brichardi tolerate a tankmate or two?
Any suggestions or advise?

I was thinking of a Kribensis ?
There is a Melanchromis Autatus at my local store that is cool looking.
Or is my tank so small I need to stick with 1 cichlid and some support fish?

I will add a loach soon, and a smaller variety of Plecostomus as soon as I get some algea growth

Neil

-RR-,
Any decisions that you make will be dependant on the water that you will have in your tank. Brichardi is a hard-water Dwarf. Kribensis is basically a soft-water Dwarf. However, both can handle middle range situation. However, I think it would be best to go one way or the other. Someone else with a better understanding of hard-water Dwarf could answer what fish would appropriately go with your brichardi.
Neil

Fogelhund

5 Year Member
That is the standard brichardi type, originally collected in Burundi near Magara.

Go and pick yourself up another 2 or 3 brichardi. They will likely breed and breed, and they can be quite entertaining as they raise their family.
A 20 gallon tank is perfect for a small family of Neolamprologus brichardi.

Scooter

5 Year Member
Hey -RR- . Welcome!

If it was me, I wouldn't keep that rainbow shark with your brichardis. Rainbows aren't small and they certainly aren't very friendly, especially when kept in close quarters like a 20 gallon. I'm afraid those brichardi will spend more time hidden in the rocks with the rainbow brute prowling around.

In any case, it's always good to see folks coming back to the hobby after a hiatus. :D

Fogelhund

5 Year Member
Oops didn't see the rainbow. Well he will definately harass the brichardi, unless they spawn, then the rainbow just might end up dead.

R

-RR-

Thanks All !

My local water is on the hard side (I need to test it to see the exact levels)

I like the idea of a family of brichardi...
I wasn't planning to jump right into breeding, but the more I think about it, the better it sounds. The brichardi in my tank now is very fun to watch.

I'll keep an eye on the rainbow.... it is small now and the brichardi chases it around some. I'll find it a better home when it gets too large or mean.

R

-RR-

Update!
Picked up a couple more brichardi today..... have my small family started

S

subiechick

I would not consider Brichardi's to be a dwarf cichlid. They can reach 6" or so without much time. They can also be very aggresive while breeding. I had a pair in a 55 Gallon with some N. brevis and some leleupi and the male Brichardi kept the others in a corner for about 2 weeks. If you plan on keeping more than 1 Brichardi, then you need to upgrade the tank size to atleast a 45+ Gallon tank. pH should be close to 7.8 (crushed coral substrate works well) and hard water works best.

Discus Man

5 Year Member
subiechick,
(Dwarf Cichlids, 1979, THF Pubs.):

"The term "dwarf cichlids," as employed in this book, is to be taken to
mean small cichlids which on account of their behavior can be kept in
well-planted community tanks without reservation. The species described
here normally do not grow larger than 10 cm, and generally remain much
smaller than that."

IME birchardi can be kept and bred in a 20g planted tank with other inhabitants (non cichlids). Most sp. of birchardi grow to a max of four inches ( not includng tail extensions).
This means that they can be loosely included in the term dwarf. However, if you are suggesting that the poster look at the birchardi from the point of view that its a rift lake cichlid and another forum may offer some worthwhile advice then I agree.
A pretty good forum for rift lake cichlids is www.aquahobby.com

Neil

IME birchardi can be kept and bred in a 20g planted tank with other inhabitants (non cichlids). Most sp. of birchardi grow to a max of four inches ( not includng tail extensions).
This means that they can be loosely included in the term dwarf.

I agree! IMO there are several factors that must be considered in coordination to establish what constitutes a Dwarf Cichlid. The water hardness from their original biotope is not one of them.
I have presented a discription of what I consider are the parameter for a Dwaarf Cichlid here.
http://www.apistogramma.com/whatis.htm
This is only a hobbyists views, but they represent the basis of what we are working with here.
Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….