• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

help my Apisto C. is getting sick

Mason

5 Year Member
I noticed that my fish kept 'rubbing', so I went down to the fish store where the guy told me that I had some kind of parasite and I should use Kent Marine RxP. Anway my Tire track eel died one day later(which was never even rubbing before I used the stuff). Now my Cacautoides is always hiding under something at the bottom of the tank. I know that the bottle is for marine use but the guy at the fish store insisted that it will work for my tank.

fishboy20

5 Year Member
Did you mention to the store employee that you had the eel in the tank? Eels are very sensitive to medications. You should only do half doses at most with eels, loaches, catfish and other small scaled species. It is always best to use less the recommended dosage as well. The scratching that you saw is usually the first signs of ich. Check your temperature and make sure it is 80 or slightly warmer for an extended period of time (2-4 weeks) until the fish act more normal. Also make sure ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are low, this also causes stress on fish. Medication for ich should include malachite green, there are many brands that have this in it and it is usually used for ich.

The hiding behavior is normal for Apistogramma species, the hide under leaf litter in the wild most of the time. If you don't have some tetras, pencilfish or other schooling fish in the tank yet, that might help the Apisto feel more at home.

fishgeek

flicking suggests, commonly, 1 of 2 things
poor water quality
external parasitism

test your water and do a large good quality change before adding any other medicatins

andrew

Mason

5 Year Member
I have tested the water and everything seems fine, I think I will get some Malachite Green. How much water should I change?

fishgeek

30-50% as long as water matches or similar parameters on the side of things that count , if is differing then do the same size change just ensure addition is slower so no sudden swings in possibly already compromised fish

slow drip addition through airline syphon can make large changes slowly an easy option

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….