• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help inducing male to spawn...

snytiger_92

5 Year Member
I have a heavily planted 30-gallon tank. Water parameters:

pH: 6.4-7.0 (depending on the CO2 at any given time)
KH: 2-3
GH: 2-3
NitrAtes: 7-13
NitrItes: 0
Ammonia: 0
PO4: 1-2

I am having a terribly difficult time getting the male to be interested in the females. I have two females and a male. The male is about an 1 3/4" and the females about 2/3 his size.

My questions: Are they too young to spawn (even though the females both act like they are interested)? How do I condition the male to spawn if he is old enough?

Thanks!:)

snytiger_92

5 Year Member
Oops! I forgot to let you guys know what I have!

Apistogramma Cacatuoides

Sorry :redface:

mooman

5 Year Member
They sound a little on the small side. Give them some time. I've never heard of cacatuoides not spawning once mature. You could try what others do for tricky species and do a large water change using water that is slightly cooler and softer than whats in the tank (simulates the start of the rainy season). As far as conditioning, I feed a quality dry food in the morning, and rotate between mysis, bloodworms, and whiteworms in the evenings.

Griz

5 Year Member
I'm pretty sure they just need a bit more time. Mine breed like rabbits.

Water changes as suggested, a bit more peat and frequent frozen food seems to turn them on a bit more, if that's even possible.

snytiger_92

5 Year Member
Cool: I thought I might be a little impatient here. I'll post again when something happens!
:biggrin:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….