• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

fry and parental care

fishgeek

for how long would you expect apsito's to look after their fry
i have 3 spawns where in 2 case's the mother has had a second spawning

in the last 3 days i have not seen anywhere near the same number of older fry with any of the 3 parents
do they take them back in with egg's
do they just give up on them

or will they eat the first batch?

at what size would you recommend seperating the fry to grow out by themselves?

thanks in advance
andrew

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Andrew,

I had 3 borellii females spawn during the same week in a 30 gallon long. Once the fry were large enough to swim about the tank on their own, 2 of the females started a second batch. At this point they nolonger protected the first batch.

Most of the fry of the first batch from the first 2 females joined the fry of the 3rd female who didn't start another spawn yet. A few however, stayed on their own and had no problems. Neither the extra male borellii or the pencilfish bothered them. The 3rd female protected her "extended" family for a couple more months before they too were on their own.

These were borellii. Other species may behave differently.

Michael

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Andrew,

That's about the size mine were when the first 2 females abandoned them to start another spawn. Many were even smaller than that.

Of course that also depends if there are other bigger fish in the tank that would eat them. They certainly couldn't defend themselves from the adults if they had to. In the case of my borellii, there were 2 extra adult males that could have easily eaten them if they wanted. But they never bothered them at all. Actually, they would feed on the BBS right along side of the tiny fry and completely ignored them. Also the beckfordi pencilfish could have easily eaten them, but ignored them as well.

But like I said earlier, other species may behave differently. I've found my borellii to be extremely peaceful. My borellii fry of the first batch are now over 2 cm and all are accounted for. I haven't lost any at all.

Michael

farm41

5 Year Member
If possible, the fry should be pulled at 3-4 weeks. Protecting fry adds a lot of stress on the parents. If they are spawning again, that is the indicator to go by. I have had successive batches of fry raised in the tank at the same time though, just no room to move them.

fishgeek

well i believe the females that intially spawned have done so a second time both now, 1 has still to show what i think are probably wrigglers hidden away
the other i'm not sure may even have a 3rd lot of egg's

no one is actively pursuing them in this tank, that i have seen, and i believe there keeping the heads down , under a large piece of wood with lots of moss, no spare room so their gonna stay there
some losses naturally will only make it easier on me as i have no room for growout till late january

the cac's , in another tank, have eaten egg's/wrigglers then spawned and shown free swimmers only to lay again and i didnt see mum eat any but i assume she has eaten the first batch as i cant see any anymore

any tips for cleaning tanks with fry in?
other than carefully

thanks again
andrew

farm41

5 Year Member
I just change water, no vacuuming in any of my tanks. My 55g growout tank still has 130 1-2" apistos in it and has had over 300 fry. No vacuuming at all. I do three 60% water changes a week though.

Clean water is all they need.

aspen

5 Year Member
barely free swimming fry will do fine on their own with no predators in the tank. keep them with the parents as long as you dare, most of my females (except for borelli's) consider them to be food or predators of the next batch of fry.

raising them bb is the best for low mortality rates, ime, with a couple of rocks or plastic plants etc. they seem to enjoy some cover when they are at any stage of developement right up to adult.

rick

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….