• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First Time Owner Mistake... any thoughts ?

tarmer

Good Morning all.... I think I took some bad advice and am trying to see if anyone can help...

The issue is with stocking not tank - (well maybe)
I have a bio cube 32 that is planted and driftwood... trying to break up the direct line of vision... I was told by someone that I would be able to keep 2 apistos in that tank.... I asked if this was true with males and told yes

Now I have read on this forum several people have had success with 2 males with little issue -

I have an Agazzi and caucatoides (sorry about spelling) at first the cauc.. was a little more aggressive and they would show to each other but little more - now the Agassi.. has become the aggressor and is chasing the other all over - I have seen no physical damage but just the chasing around

I am in the long run concerned about the cauc.. and would like to take one out - BUT cannot do so easily due to the scaping..... and really don’t want to take it all apart if not needed

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on how to remove or will this work out over time ?

Thank You in Advance !

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think the problem is that the 32 gallon Bio Cube is only the length of a standard 10 gallon tank. Yes, it is 2X as wide as a 10, but the distance between fish is always the about the same as in a standard 10 gallon tank. Add to that, you are keeping 2 polygamous males with similar body shapes. My guess is that you would have had less problems with less polygamous species and 2 males with very different shapes.

tarmer

Welcome to sight tarmer, I use a homemade snail trap with pretty good results.
Yukondog..... thank you - is that an inverted coke bottle - and I suppose it’s trial and error to make sure you get the right fish .... as I do have others in there with them
I think the problem is that the 32 gallon Bio Cube is only the length of a standard 10 gallon tank. Yes, it is 2X as wide as a 10, but the distance between fish is always the about the same as in a standard 10 gallon tank. Add to that, you are keeping 2 polygamous males with similar body shapes. My guess is that you would have had less problems with less polygamous species and 2 males with very different shapes.
thank you Mike.... so I assume that gets back to the original issue.... I do not think it will get better and one will possibly continue to bully until death ?

and is the trap the best way to remove one ?

thank you all for the help - I really appreciate it as I do not want to see either injured or killed and this goes down as lesson learned!

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
BUT cannot do so easily due to the scaping..... and really don’t want to take it all apart if not needed
Could you put some <"structural leaf litter"> into the tank in the short term? It might break up "line of sight" enough until you can remove one of the fish

They sell Magnolia grandiflora leaves for <"Dart Frog vivariums etc">.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….