• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

feeding new cac fry/ update

G

Gary W.

Hi everyone

My new cac. fry are getting big ! I think i have close to 25 -30 fast growing fry. The offering of fresh hatched brine shrimp sure did the
trick for me, some are quite larger then the others {males maybe?}
I'm happy at this point because ,some of the fry will chase down small
daphnia.
I need to know when to pull the fry (if at all)? The female is doing her
wiggles and displays for the male. How soon will she try to mate again?
And one last question , my cac's are double reds / if i get a triple red female , what are my chances of triple red fry? 50/50 ? Question of dominate
or recessive gene?

thanks all
Gary w.
P.S. cac's in 10 gal. tank

'

Jason

5 Year Member
Hi Gary,

Here is how I do it: I remove the male as soon as I know there are eggs or fry. I keep the female with the fry till she stops paying attention to her fry, which is about three weeks after they are free swimming.
I was never successful in raising the youngs without the female (I read some success stories on the internet, though so it must be possible). Whenever I tried to do that, the fry stopped swimming, and even though there was enough food, they did not eat and eventually died. I think they instinctively freeze without the female communicating to them that it is safe to swim (otherwise they would risk being eaten by a predator).
I prefere to move the female than the fry.
:D Have fun with your cacs. :D
Jason

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….