• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do I need RO water

Getoffmylawn

I'm new to trying to soften water for my aquariums. It's a bit confusing but I think I'm getting a handle on it.

My water comes from my tap at:

PH-8.9
3 DGH
2 DKH
tds 165 ppm
conductivity 345

If I let my water rest for 24-48 hours the PH drops to 7.6, I then run it through my DIY gravity drip sphagnum moss/peat filter, and my ph drops to 6.0.

My question is do I need to use RO water to lower the tds and or conductivity?
or will my peat filtered water be ok without it?

Thanks for your time.

Mark

MacZ

To lower TDS / conductivity you have no choice but to remove minerals from the water which works easiest via reverse osmosis.

Although you can push down your pH with peat, that doesn't change anything about the TDS.

Your peat cannon will likely get you down to a pH of 5 or even below with RO.

Question is: Do you really need to lower the TDS? What fish are you keeping?

Getoffmylawn

I guess my real question was, is my tds and conductivity too high? and what should be my target numbers? I have an ro unit, so if I do use it with my kh and gh where they are should I then add minerals to beef it up a little?

Getoffmylawn

Sorry read your response quickly and missed the bottom. As of now I have a pair of Agasszii double red and a young pair of Trifaciata. I'm starting a new fish room so will be adding more down the road.

MacZ

They may or may not be too high depending on the species. There is no general answer.

If you want actual blackwater species to spawn you have to get the TDS down to below 100ppm or below 20µSi. For clearwater species your readings are within range.

Using an RO unit to lower KH and GH (which are low in your case already) and adding minerals again to get them to the same levels is pretty much nonsense.

As you answered while I typed the above: For A. agassizii and A. trifasciata you are fine. They are not obligate blackwater species. Should you have problems getting them to spawn you may just cut your peat prepared water with 1 part RO to 2 parts peatwater and should be fine.

Getoffmylawn

Awesome thanks, that is what I was thinking. I hesitate to use my ro unless I have to because of the waste.

Thanks for your time.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
The conversion factor many use for freshwater is 0.64, so a TDS of 345 uS ~ 221 ppm TDS.

You could try it with trifasciata, but some have had better luck with agassizzii at lower TDS (based on other threads in this forum).

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
I do a peat cannon when I “have to,” and it’s great at acidifying the water. It does soften the water very slightly at the beginning, but I find after a couple water changes it doesn’t anymore.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
You may have already thought of these things, but there are also ways to either reduce the waste water or reuse it. I also try to reduce waste and avoid the use of non-renewables. They all take some effort, so the right solution depends on your situation. Rainwater's a great idea if you can do it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….