• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

dinosaur eels

dwarf_puffer

5 Year Member
any1giving them away or selling in british colubia canada for around 20-25 bucks canadain i love them so much!
DSC_6651.jpg

fishboy20

5 Year Member
I guess you mean Polypterus species. They are plentiful in the states. I imagine that you should be able to get them North of us as well.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
They are fairly common in my area, too. They are sold as Ropefish. They're harmless to other fish that they can't get their fairly large mouth around. They also have a knack of finding openings so they can climb out of tanks.

dwarf_puffer

5 Year Member
um so im guessing these guys wouldnt go so well with...

whould they be ok with cockatoo dwarf cichlids and bolivian rams im guessing yes but whould about neon tetras!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with cdawson on fish food. All of the mentioned species, except possibly a fully grown male cacatuoides would be easy prey for your Ropefish. As for the name 'Ropefish', where I come from several of the more round in cross-section polypterid species are sold under this name. Those that are more laterally compressed are sold as Bichers.

dwarf_puffer

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
I agree with cdawson on fish food. All of the mentioned species, except possibly a fully grown male cacatuoides would be easy prey for your Ropefish. As for the name 'Ropefish', where I come from several of the more round in cross-section polypterid species are sold under this name. Those that are more laterally compressed are sold as Bichers.
how could it eat the bolivian rams the big! and the female cockatoos grow to 3.5'' and there all ready atlease 1"

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Female cacatuoides rarely grow over 2"/5cm. Rope fish can easily grow to over 12"/30cm. Fully grown Bolivian Rams probably will be safe. The Polypterids tend to be night hunters, so even relatively large fish fall prey to them.

fishboy20

5 Year Member
My friend has had his Polypterus ornatipinnis eat 4" rainbows. I seriously doubt you should keep this species with any dwarf. However, it could be a good predatory fish for eating any culls you need to dispose of.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….