• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Death caused by food?

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
Always hoped I would not need to ask questions in this section!!

Here goes...
Yesterday, at the end of the day, I had to scoop out 6 dead bodies from my tanks, and 1 more this morning.

1x male A. pertensis
4x juvenile A. macmasteri
1x female A. macmasteri
1x A. sp. Papagei

All fish were in different tanks, except for the 4 juvenile A. macmasteri.
All of them had a swollen belly, and it seemed redish. All fins were intact and full, no fungus or any other exterior signs of any sort.

The first thing that comes to my mind is constipation. They were fed with frozen (thawed for feeding) plankton. Could the plankton be too big for them? Too hard to digest?

This morning, I found the 4th dead A. macmasteri, and had to cut it up to see what was in that huge belly.

There was plenty of that pink plankton. Nothing else was seen, no worms or whatever parasites.

Any one can confirm this, or suggest anything else??

Thanks

fishgeek

water parameters please
i doubt constipation as a cause of death in fish anymore often than it is a cause of death in any other species

andrew

aspen

5 Year Member
i have had cases of over-eating causing death in a few different fish (rams, a c. compressiceps, an a. cacatuoides) particularly when food they love is being over-fed, and esp when there is a great deal of competition for the food and they eat voraciously. you obviously cannot get an equal amount of food in each fish, so the fastest eater will get the most.

i always feed bloodworms spare. they seem to be the one that is bad for me. i can see why krill would be a similar thing.

i have had fish die of constipation, particularly discus on tetra bits if you are a little slow treating with the epsom salts.

rick

Randall

5 Year Member
Killer diet

Hello David,

Sorry to hear about your fish.

I don't know if, indeed, plankton killed your fish. In the future, a more varied diet that doesn't rely too heavily on one type of food might be a good idea. Including some vegetable matter is usually beneficial as well.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….