• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Crystal tetra and red pencilfish

Mazan

I’ve been looking around for suitable small shoaling species for the mid/upper tank levels, and recently I have seen these offered for sale that look interesting: Crystal or pi tetra, (Protocheirodon pi) and red pencilfish (Nannostomus mortenthaleri). I was wondering if any of you might have experience with these as tank mates for apistogramma. I can find very little info on the crystal tetra, other than peaceful and hardy, but a lot of info on different tetras also say that, then I read that they are bad fin nippers ( like the blue tetra for example that also looks nice, is available and I was considering, but it is one of the bad ones apparently.). Regarding the pencilfish, I like this a lot, but it sounds like they could be a bit difficult to keep? The same seller also has black emperor tetras, but I am not that keen on the black variety, prefer the normal ones. Also I was thinking of possibly getting a few very small (at the moment) angelfish and wonder if as they grow they might eat these smaller fish, though I have seen many times angels kept with neons. If any of you have any experience with these species please let me know. My tank is 120cm x 40 x 50, could I keep both of these species and how many of each would be best? I could also get hatchetfish but the other two appeal more. I have not got any other fish in the tank yet by the way, still at the planning stage and still deciding which Apistogramma to get....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….