• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Commercial fish foods for dwarfs - want to wean them off bbs

Eva32181

5 Year Member
Do any of you dwarf cichlid fans out there have a favorite commercial fish food brand that you use? I feed my apistos baby brine shrimp, but I would like to wean my older-baby fish onto something not so labor intensive (if they are still hooked on brine shrimp when I eventually bring them to my LFS, they may not do well on whatever diet their new owner gives them).

I bought some little pellet things that my LFS sells - they said they feed it to all their display fish - but my little apistos seem to be ignoring it. I know their mouths are big enough, they're just spoiled!

Thanks!

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
After the bbs, I usually move to grindal worms and finely crushed flake food. I just put a pinch ot two in a small container and grind it up with my fingers until it is almost a powder. I seem to get better growth with the grindal worms tho.

Eva32181

5 Year Member
If only I could get my adult dwarfs to accept flake food. That would be very cool. I will try crushed flakes on the juveniles tonight. Thanks!

Neil

Eva,
I feed my Dwarfs OSI Marine Flake. This is the only flake food that I have found that most all of them will really eat well and it has a full compliment of nutritional elements that they need. It may take a few days, but I bet they will accept it. Both fry and adults will eat it. I grind it up, like Cichlids1 suggests, for the fry and usually get them eating it right away. I don't use grindle worms, but I would suggest some other supplimentary food type to go along with flake. Not that flake is fine, but it will benefit each species to have a wider diet. You may want to take a look at this artical to see some of the various choices. There are many.

http://www.apistogramma.com/dwarfcichlidnutrition.htm

Neil

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….