• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Catfish Atlas Volume 1

blueblue

5 Year Member
Besides apistos, i also keep pleco, L46, L81, L134... :)

I am searching around for good reference books for L46.
i have got the books by Datz, the photo albums by Aqualog,
and two books from Taiwan... i have also found two books,
both by Mergus:

Catfish Atlas Volume 1 (in English)
http://www.mergus.com/catfish_atlas_i.html

and Catfish Atlas Volume 2 (in German only).

As the books are not available locally, i need to
order them online. So, are there any
comments on these two books, especially the first one
(i could not read german...)? Please share. Thanks :)

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi Blueblue,

blueblue said:
Besides apistos, i also keep pleco, L46, L81, L134... :)

I am searching around for good reference books for L46.
i have got the books by Datz, the photo albums by Aqualog,
and two books from Taiwan... i have also found two books,
both by Mergus:

I'm also a friend of catfishes and I know these books... AND I can read german!!! *g* So I can tell you a little...

The Mergus Atlasas are very very good books!!! ...but they are not just to identify L-numbers. (I'm not sure, if all L-numbers are in there)
But ... and that's most important for you ... you would need the second one for that! ;-)

Catfish-Atlas 1 contains general information about catfishes, their habitates, systematics, keeping, breeding, etc. After that it contains descriptions to the species of the Loricariinae and Hypoptopomatinae.

The Hypostominae and Ancistrinae (sensu Isbrücker), who includes the popular L-number-catfishes, are described in Catfish-Atlas 2.

If you need a book to identify loricariid catfishes, it's good to have Datz plus Aqualog. The newest one!!! - the old Aqualog is a crime against aquarians *g* - But also the new Aqualog contains several misidentifications, so it's better to have Datz to compare. But Datz shows only one picture for any species, Aqualog shows variations. ...but anyway, it's often impossible to identfy catfishes by pictures, especially in the popular genus Hypancistrus ;-)

But there a new book available here in germany, from André Werner (Transfish) and Walter Lechner, which is a good compromise. It contains the L-Numbers 1-400 and good pictures.
But I don't think, it is available in english. (but L-Numbers are readable international for identifying!) ;-)

Look at http://www.bede-verlag.de/book_1_4_2_289.html

best regards,
Rolo

blueblue

5 Year Member
Thanks Rolo for the kind advice. Just a further question:
Does Catfish Atlas I includes some descriptions of zebra pleco L46
and its natural habitates? I actually want to know as much as possible
of this species. :)

Rolo said:
Hi Blueblue,

I'm also a friend of catfishes and I know these books... AND I can read german!!! *g* So I can tell you a little...

The Mergus Atlasas are very very good books!!! ...but they are not just to identify L-numbers. (I'm not sure, if all L-numbers are in there)
But ... and that's most important for you ... you would need the second one for that! ;-)

Catfish-Atlas 1 contains general information about catfishes, their habitates, systematics, keeping, breeding, etc. After that it contains descriptions to the species of the Loricariinae and Hypoptopomatinae.

The Hypostominae and Ancistrinae (sensu Isbrücker), who includes the popular L-number-catfishes, are described in Catfish-Atlas 2.

If you need a book to identify loricariid catfishes, it's good to have Datz plus Aqualog. The newest one!!! - the old Aqualog is a crime against aquarians *g* - But also the new Aqualog contains several misidentifications, so it's better to have Datz to compare. But Datz shows only one picture for any species, Aqualog shows variations. ...but anyway, it's often impossible to identfy catfishes by pictures, especially in the popular genus Hypancistrus ;-)

But there a new book available here in germany, from André Werner (Transfish) and Walter Lechner, which is a good compromise. It contains the L-Numbers 1-400 and good pictures.
But I don't think, it is available in english. (but L-Numbers are readable international for identifying!) ;-)

Look at http://www.bede-verlag.de/book_1_4_2_289.html

best regards,
Rolo

Fatts

5 Year Member
I thought that I read they were not going ahead (I will have to look for where I read that) with that project? Is that not correct? They are still building that dam?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I hope you are right. But consider this:

1) the Brazilian govenment passed a law that environmental impact statements have only 6 month before they must be submitted for review. It is impossible to evaluate such an area within 6 month.

2) "A significant event was the 25 August 2001 assassination of Ademir Alfeu Federicci, known as “Dema,†a leader of resistance to the dam plans. Dema was head of the Movement for the Development of the Transamazon Highway and the Xingu (MPDTX). He is regarded in the area as a martyr who was killed for his outspoken criticism of the dams (ISA 2001). However, as is often the case in assassinations carried out by hired gunmen, sufficient evidence could not be gathered to bring the case to trial."

3) More populated parts of Brazil have a periodic series of electrical brown-outs due to poor utilization of the present electrical infrastructure & adequate hydroelectric water storage.

4) Brazil has negotiated with China to open the largest alumina plant in the world by 2010. The process of producing aluminum requires vast amounts of electricty. If they have electrical problems now, where are they going to get more?

For those interested in this, you might want to read the following paper: http://philip.inpa.gov.br/publ_livres/Preprints/2006/Belo Monte dec making-EM-3.pdf

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….