• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding A.borelli?

Raul-7

5 Year Member
I'm going to use flower pot saucers, sine they're short and createa loof roof so that the eggs stay close together. But my question is, If I cover the cave with Java moss but I leave the cave entrance open, will they notice the entrance? And I want to have a harem(2f:1m), do I need 3 caves or just 2 for each female?

2la

5 Year Member
As I mentioned before, A. borellii is not really a harem breeder. The fish will explore every nook and cranny of your tank and should have no problems finding a suitable home. Often they find caves you never really intended to create in the first place! One cave per female is fine.

Raul-7

5 Year Member
Sorry 2la, I just read that people always keep in harems...What would you recommend as harem breeder, A.cacatuoides or A.bitaeniata?

farm41

5 Year Member
I believe that some have, I think Rick had some that spawned as a trio. All rules are not steadfast though. Cacs, Inca, panduro, and probably many more can be kept as trio's.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I read the same thing somewhere, that borellii pair up. So I was suprised when the dominant male spawned with 3 females all in the same week! I had 7(3m4f) borellii in a 30 gallon long. I think he would have spawned with the 4th female, except that after the first 3 females staked out their territories, there was no place left in the tank for her to claim.

The other 2 males remained small and with neutral female-like colors. They had short fins like the females, but when the dominant male wasn't looking, they could quickly turn their colors on and off.

I've since removed 2 pair and only keep a trio in that tank now. I've read were the batches of fry are smaller in a harem environment compared to a single pair. My 3 females had about 20 fry each. Even with the 7 adult borellii and 4 adult beckfordi pencilfish, I don't think I lost a single fry to being eaten. I counted about 60 when they were first free swimming and I still count about 60 now.

Two or three of the females tried to spawn again since, but my tank got infested with hydra which I think ate the tiny new free swimming fry.

Michael

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….