• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bolivian Ram water pH

A

Anchor

We have two Bolivian rams that were among the most colorful I've ever seen at the LFS. They are now in a 20 gallon high planted with Peat in the filter and a ph of 6.8 maintained with discus buffer. There are few tetras as dither fish and a nannocara in the tank but the colors aren't coming back. In my book Enjoying Cichlids edited by Ad Konigs, Kaj Anderson writes that M. altispinosis in the wild prefers "neutral to slightly alkaline pH (7-7.6)" This contradicts much of the info on the net. Ideas anyone?

naggur

5 Year Member
hey there, I have one bolivian ram and have´m in flat 7.5 ( straigth from the tap) lucky me I dont have to filter any bad supstance from the whater ( likele cleanest whater in the world) my ram's do really great in this ph and are qite happy. but how ever it's better to have the ph around 6.8 - 7.2

Jayhawk

5 Year Member
Mine spawn regularly in 7.2-7.6. Where did you hear they should be in lower pH water? German/blue rams, yes, but Bolivians are perfectly fine in pHs in the 7s.

Eric

Joelio

5 Year Member
JG said:
My pair spawn regularly in a pH of 7.2

They'll soon be mine buddy!!! :biggrin: But when I get them, can fry grow in a slightly alkaline water?

-joel

Randall

5 Year Member
Breeding Mikrogeophagus altispinosa

Anchor said:
We have two Bolivian rams that were among the most colorful I've ever seen at the LFS. They are now in a 20 gallon high planted with Peat in the filter and a ph of 6.8 maintained with discus buffer. There are few tetras as dither fish and a nannocara in the tank but the colors aren't coming back. In my book Enjoying Cichlids edited by Ad Konigs, Kaj Anderson writes that M. altispinosis in the wild prefers "neutral to slightly alkaline pH (7-7.6)" This contradicts much of the info on the net. Ideas anyone?

Hello JC,

In the wild, Mikrogeophagus altispinosa is found in neutral to slightly alkaline water. Please refer to http://forum.apistogramma.com/showthread.php?t=3046.

Also, please understand that "the info on the net" is only as good as the person who writes it.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joen714

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(