• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Blue rams

chromis

5 Year Member
Just wondering:

If a pair of Blue Rams have spawned, does that mean that the eggs will hatch assuming that they have done all what is expected of them? Would water parameters have any bearing on the way the eggs will hatch?

Thanks
chromis

mooman

5 Year Member
If they are blue rams, from everything i've read, they will probably eat the eggs before they hatch. I read a post from a venerable New Zealand breeder that stated that he had never had blue rams raise fry to release stage on thier own. I've heard some people say that many spawns are needed before the blue rams will "get it right".

Standard practice with rams (again just what I have read) is to remove eggs to a hatching container (it can be a 2g bucket) place an airsone near the eggs, and add methyl blue to control fungus. Once eggs have hatched do small water changes every day to dilute methyl blue and then move them into a grow up tank. You will need infusoria for a few days (they come free with java moss) to feed the fry and then newly hatched brine shrimp.

Once again this info is second hand, corrections and additions welcome

ps Do you have a second tank to raise fry?

fishgeek

my understanding on the water factors is that hardness or perhaps more specifically calcium levels of the water will affect the shell membrane

if the calcium in the water is high enough it will harden the shell of the egg , either preventing fertilisation or perhaps hardening a already fertile egg and making it difficult for an embryonic fish to hatch

just my take
andrew

chromis

5 Year Member
Thanks for that!

My pair have spawned before and although the female has guarded them with all her might, they have started disappearing after 3 days. They have now spawned again (2 weeks after the first spawn disappeared) and the male seems to be the more active one now in guarding the eggs. They all look okay so far. Now the water in my area (London, UK) is on the hard side. Around 7.6 but I have been adding black water extract and this seems to have made a lot of difference with them. I have given up on keeping them before as they almost always die after a few weeks and I can't stand seeing a lovely fish deteriorate.

I'm happy for them to spawn but to be honest, raising their fry will have to be down to them as although I have a few tanks, I do not have any spare I'm afraid. Besides, they have decided to spawn on the top area of a bogwood in the tank so I will have to take the wood if I want to hatch and raise the fry. My main concern for now is that they live a happy life. Will see if I can take some pictures and will post here later.

chromis

5 Year Member
Just to let you know that the eggs have hatched! :biggrin:

I thought they disappeared like the first time but noticed that the male is still hanging around the area and looking down most of the time. Had a close look (very close!!) and saw some very tiny wrigglers moving about! :eek: Not sure how far they will get though as there are other fish in the tank and the filter is very strong.

It feels good to see them getting this far! :biggrin:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….