• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Black Neon Tetra. Do they really make good dithers?

FishMonkey

I always see people asking would rummynose/neon/cardinal/ect tetras make good dithers and the generally reply is;

"No, not really, these are very good at hunting fry. Your best bet is pencil fish but failing that black neon Tetra are a good cheap commonly available dither that doesn't tend to eat fry."

What makes black neon tetras different from the rest? I've kept a few tetras and they've always been quite nippy and good hunters. I quite like these fish but I don't want to make the mistake of putting a dozen of these in a 150L with 4 macmasteri's as I find it hard to imagine tetras being good with apistos. Alternatively it's pay a ridiculous amount for red corals or struggle to find some dwarf pencil fish which could be a long time, the rest I'm not very keen on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….