• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Betta MAcrostoma

depthc

5 Year Member
Crazy looking fish Ive never seen one before. Neat pictures mervin.

Andrew

Tea

5 Year Member
nice fish

Hey mervin our your fish wild caught? I was just curous. I have been looking for these litttle guys for a while but they are way to expensive. Have you spawned them yet? Any ways do you have any you can sell? hehe

JG

5 Year Member
Interesting looking fish. BTW, I also like the tank picture with the angels and discus schooling across the front.

Randall

5 Year Member
Beautiful photos, Mervin. Thank you for sharing them with us.

For those who may not be into Betta spp., B. macrostoma is considered the king of the genus. It is a paternal mouthbrooding species aptly named for its large mouth (macro+stoma). They are rare, always in demand, and are usually quite expensive.

Many wild or wild-type Betta spp. thrive in soft, acidic water and are a natural for soft water dwarf cichlid hobbyists.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

mervin

5 Year Member
thank you all for all your kind comments.

these fellas are indeed rare, rare only in the hobby.
i have friends are actually went into the jungles of Borneo and found them in abundance.

unforunately the government of Sarawak and Brunei has tight restrictions on their export.

not sure if mine is wild or not but accorroding to its importer, its wild and from Sarawak.

i have not managed to spawn them but i know of a few people here in Singapore who has spawned them rather often.

amber2461

5 Year Member
"unforunately the government of Sarawak and Brunei has tight restrictions on their export."

Mervin is correct on that aspect though, it is considered a crime in Brunei if you are caught taking out this particular fish, it is an automatic jail sentence. and a possibly black listed from entering Brunei ever again too.

B

bullosa

mervin said:
thank you all for all your kind comments.

these fellas are indeed rare, rare only in the hobby.
i have friends are actually went into the jungles of Borneo and found them in abundance.

unforunately the government of Sarawak and Brunei has tight restrictions on their export.

Hi Mervin, actually the wild bettas like Macrostoma is rare and not found in abundance. The only areas where they can be found more commonly are often in protected national parks between Brunei/Sarawak. In fact Betta Brownorums and Taenietas are not commonly found found these days. For some reason, captive bred F4 Macrostomas from Penang have been reported to be weaker.

Many Sarawakian fish collectors said that wild bettas are increasingly difficult to find. A check into fish exporter list from Singapore reveals that the number of Macrostomas, Brownorums, Taeniatas, Parospromenus offered are actually quite small.

amber2461

5 Year Member
Aaarrrggghhhh ... Mervin you are not good for the soul ... hehehehehe ... thanks for posting the link.

Me thinks it is time to go to Miri again ... this time, the old fashion way ... via the jungle treks ~sigh~

mervin

5 Year Member
amber2461 said:
Aaarrrggghhhh ... Mervin you are not good for the soul ... hehehehehe ... thanks for posting the link.

Me thinks it is time to go to Miri again ... this time, the old fashion way ... via the jungle treks ~sigh~

just remember to get me some MACS !!!

mummymonkey

5 Year Member
BAS in Bolton (UK) had several of these beautiful fish today. But at £98 per pair, :eek: they are rather too tasty for my wallet. (Spent my money on corys and apistos instead!)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….