• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Behaviour Question

DerpDude

Hello everyone,

A month ago I got a pair of Apistogramma Cacatuides (the seller told me it was a proven pair) and I put them in a 20g tank.
I added a coconut cave to the tank and the female showed interest in the cave and stayed in/around it for the first few days. However, now she tends to stay around but not too close, and the male (who now spends a lot of time in the cave) won't let the female enter it.
Is this normal? The male also seems to be kinda aggressive with the female normally.

Thanks in advance

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It appears that your tank doesn't meet the female's requirements for a suitable breeding environment. Your tank also seems to be an uncomfortable place for the male if he hides much of the time. These behaviors are typical in tanks that are too open and with insufficient nearby hiding places.

DerpDude

It appears that your tank doesn't meet the female's requirements for a suitable breeding environment. Your tank also seems to be an uncomfortable place for the male if he hides much of the time. These behaviors are typical in tanks that are too open and with insufficient nearby hiding places.

I just realised I didn't explain the situation very well. The male and the female both spend most of their time in the open together, but sometimes the male tends to get aggressive. He also spends a lot of time in the cave but that's compared to the amount of time the female's in the cave (she almost never goes in there). When she tries, it's usually when the male's there and he doesn't let her in.

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

A month ago I got a pair of Apistogramma Cacatuides (the seller told me it was a proven pair) and I put them in a 20g tank.
I added a coconut cave to the tank and the female showed interest in the cave and stayed in/around it for the first few days. However, now she tends to stay around but not too close, and the male (who now spends a lot of time in the cave) won't let the female enter it.
Is this normal? The male also seems to be kinda aggressive with the female normally.

Thanks in advance
If you can.. and to be sure...please post a pic of the "pair"..
Sometimes you may get/buy two females who/which both may "appreciate" the cave so to speak..(?)..
If the the size-difference was the primary criteria when netting them in the store.., this may be the case in this/your situation...(?)
Cacatouides females of long-time bred "aquarium"-strains can be very rich in colors+orange dots..
This may cause some confusion when netting young specimen.. since these signs is normally/most common on some wild males when collected from the nature !!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamigLag

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(