• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beginner Cacatuoides Breeding Interactive Journal

oides3

I have spent so much time looking at other people's posts about apistos and breeding and fry lately that I decided to give a go at it.

I just restarted my 20 long a couple of months ago and bit by bit got it stocked with some cool fish to watch. I saved my last 6 inches for something that I normally didn't find at my local fish store in Iowa City. I was online and saw cacatuoides and became infatuated.

Come to find out a week later that my LFS got in an infrequent group of cacatus. They looked to all be male, so I went home and did research on the difference between the sexes. When they had only 3 remaining I decided it was time to get one. I went back later that day and got another. It ends up that they are both males.

So, naturally, the next thing to do is to set up another tank. It fits as dual purpose; so the better looking and bullied boy can have a tank and someday a couple females to himself. I have the tank set up, mostly. So that is where I am now: 20 long with 2 male cacatus, 4 otos, 4 neon tetras, a blue dwarf gourami, a whiteskirt tetra, a serpae tetra, and a goldfish, and a 20 tall with a coconut cave and a flowerpot on its side.

The pH in the tank I am going to use for breeding is around 7.2 and the temp is 78-80. I am making my own sponge filter for it and maybe getting some plants in the middle to further divide it into two territories for the future 2 females I plan to put in there. I am interested in any ideas or suggestions. I am trying to aim for mostly males since I would like to supply the LFS's in my area that seldom have fish like the cacatus (the males of course sell better to people who just have a community tank.

Thanks for reading and feel free to contribute.

cabinetdoorsclosed.jpg

20longcommunity.jpg

cabinetdoorsopen.jpg

20tallbreeder.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macmasterman

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(