• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are my tank mates compatible?

Suzn

Hi. I am new to having dwarf cichlids. My set up is 50 gallons ( 190 liters ) I have a pair of German Blue Rams, a pair of Hongsloi Apistos, 3 Laetacara curviceps , 3 Male Dwarf Gaurami an Albino Bristlenose Pleco, 6 Neon Tetra and a small variety of Cory Catfish.
My tank is planted and has many hiding places ( drift wood, hollowed log, lava rock cave etc). I also have many flat stones along the bottom on top of the medium corse sand. What is your opinion of my set up and compatibility of tank mates. I want to create the best possible habitat for my babies. They are all young still.
(Only about 1" to 1 1/2" ). Thanks for any input you might have.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
You probably know this already, but at some point fairly soon, as your fish grow, you will have too many Cichlids, and too many bottom orientated fish all together, if any of your cichlids try to breed. Personally I'd go for just one species of cichlid, or at the most 2. Both the Cories and the Neon Tetras are likely to fall foul of the Apistogramma or the Laetacara if these breed.
Rams tend to be less effective in defence of their fry. The situation with the ABN is slightly different in that it will definitely eat any eggs of the Laetacara and Rams, and may eat the eggs and or wrigglers of the Apistogrammas if it can get in the cave, but the cichlids aren't likely to be able to do the ABN much damage.

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have to agree with Darrel: entirely too many cichlids for the tank. Additionally, a community tank situation is not ideal for producing offspring. You need to decide how important it is to use the tank for breeding. If breeding is important then remove the Pleco and Corys, and at least one of the pairs of open substrate breeding cichlids (Rams or L. curviceps). You will have a better chance of success.

Suzn

Thank you for your advise. I am actually not trying to breed any of the fish, but I would feel bad knowing that if they do breed their young will get eaten. Is it very likely that they will breed? I was hoping to just keep them as pairs in a community environment. If they did breed and I removed the appropriate fish, is there a lot of work involved in caring for the young. p.s (Poor little corys. I already rescued them from my semi agressive 60 gallon due to a mean loach. I am definitely still learning. LOL)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Personally, I think that you will eventually have aggression problems between the cichlids for territory. In this case, my guess is that the Rams will be the losers. Even in a community situation, all of your fish will try to breed, even the Neons. You'll probably not notice it before the eggs are quickly eaten. The cichlids, however, will try to protect their eggs/fry and you'll notice this (and their eventual loss). If you can accept this, then just keep an eye peeled for any damage on the fish and remove them before they are killed. It is a very good idea to remove any cichlids that remain at the top of the tank, too. These fish have no territory. In such situations, it is often a good idea to place pieces of floating pipe in the corners of the tank, as hiding places for evicted cichlids.

aspen

5 Year Member
generally speaking cichlids kept in good condition will try to breed and this creates agression. often it is on the spouse but often towards tankmates. some people keep male only tanks to minimise agression, but i think 1 species of cichlid is enough for even larger tanks. there are lots of compatible species for apistos.

rick

sterbai

I have prepared my 110 l tank for keeping corrys and apistogramma together. I'm sorry too hear that this didn't work out. My favourite aqua store are reciving apistos from Czechoslovakia (macmasteri, borelli, hongsloi and cacatuoides) next week and i wonder if some you have this same experience as Suzn or some advices for keeping this species togheter.

tompoz

First of all, there is no Czechoslovakia. There is Czech Republic and Slovakia.
Second, your tank is too small for more than one species od Apisto. Well, maybe you could have a pair of M. ramirezi and a pair of A. borellii in such tank.

sterbai

Sorry, I did my reply unclear. I wish too keep one of the actuall spices, with 8 corrys, 1 ancistrus and 1 Siamese algae-eater. But i'm not sure if this will work out with the corrys. I' have read different perceptions about this subject.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
As a community of fish, it should be ok. If you want reproduction of the cichlid speices, you will find both corys and ancistrus will eat eggs/fry if they can get to them. The female/pair are unable to stop these armored fish. The Siamese algae-eater is a bad choice for a breeding tank, too. It is too active for a dwarf cichlid breeding tank.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Ditto Mike.
Besides, Siamese Algae Eaters get too large and after they are nearly full grown they eat less algae and more fish food.
Otocinclus and Farlowella Twig catfish are two kinds of algae eating catfish which I have never seen go inside breeding caves.

sterbai

My Siamese algae eater have grown very fast and will be removed soon. Looks like it already eat mostly fish food.
It seems to me that its too many egg/fry eaters in my tank already, i may look for two male apistos or rams to keep the aggresion down. Then i maybe start a new tank with a pair of apistos later.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….