• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma sp. Gigas????

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Haakon, the photo in the link is the original photo of the fish. It is NOT the same fish that was offered as "A. sp. Gigas" in Asia last year. That "A. sp. Gigas" turned out to be A. sp. Peixoto/Serpa (A39). I haven't seen photos of the "A. sp. Gigas" offered by Mimbon(?) for €1500/pair, so I cannot know if it is the original A. sp. Gigas or something else. It certainly would be interesting to see photos of the fish that was imported into Europe.

HaakonH

5 Year Member
Mike, I just sent you an email. Yes, the link shows a better pic of the original sp.Gigas. It's always nicer to see specimens in that way rather than those held in a hand above water, methinks ;) Does this recent pic make it any clearer that it belongs to the Apistogramma Genus?

The recently imported ones labelled Gigas II, offered via Glaser, are apparently the same as those sold in Japan last year. In other words; A.sp.Peixoto. The new name, given by Glaser, is A.sp.Cachimboi (Gigas II). So, we are NOT dealing with the original A.sp.Gigas, which again makes the price somewhat stiff...but the price Glaser sold them for was nowhere near the 750 Euro the public seller asked for, they sure made a decent profit (if anyone bought them yet).

Haakon

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The photos that Haakon got from Glaser show a fish that looks like A. sp. Peixoto/Serpa to me. I certainly hope that we don't have to add 2 more new commercial names for this fish (A.sp.Cachimboi & Gigas II). The fish in the photos are definitely part of the genus Apistogramma. I'm still not sure that the original A. sp. Gigas is an apisto. In some respects it show features intermediate between Apistogramma and Gymnogeophagus. Is it possible that these are a relict population of what the ancestral apisto looked like? We need to see more photos/specimens of this fish to be sure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJM_Aquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….