• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma sp. Apayaco

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
Is this a form of A. barlowi? A. sp. Maulbruter? (Are they the same now?)

Stressed coloration is very dark with green iridescence on the top of all scales, rust colored dorsal. Normal coloration is seen in the big male in the video. Tail has a small blue streak at the bottom, and the bottom half appears yellow in some individuals. The lateral band extends deep into the caudal, and when fighting, the jaw and throat turn very dark black. Wild caught from Apayaco in Peru. Very colorful, and I wish they kept their stress color permanently.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Again, I find it hard to ID fish from videos. That being said, the Río Apayacu (the fish name is a corruption of this) is a tributary of the Amazon west of Pebas on the Río Ampiyacu. A. barlowi is only known from the the Ampiyacu northwest of Pebas. There is another barlowi-like species that occurs just downstream from the mouth of the Río Napo near Oran. So I wouldn't be surprised to see other barlowi-complex species in the area.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….