• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma sp. aff. Juruensis (Rio nanay)

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
Now names like this always confuse me! I have 3 wild pairs of em' though. They seem to be doing well, and eat like pigs. They look like a green and yellow cacatuoides, with a big ole dorsal like breitbinden. I find them pretty interesting, and hope to spawn them. Zman, neil, have either of you heard of them listed under that name? i have some pretty good pics of them if you'd like to see.

Rich

Neil

That is the only name that I have heard the "Rio Nanay" form mentioned under. It has been around for a couple of years and is a member of the cacatuoides complex. Fairly easy to work with. Great finnage, as you mention, and comes in a blue and a red- I believe!

Z Man

5 Year Member
If you are reffering to the "sp. aff." before Juruensis; that means the person who collected it does not think it is a Juruensis but a "species that looks like". You will se the "sp. aff." a lot when fish are collected in different locations but really don't look the same. That "tag" will remain on it until the experts decide what it really is.

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
Thanks for clearing that sp. aff. jazz up for me Zman.
They don't seem like they will be much of a problem to work with, but they are only letting one of the females get to the food. I think i'll need to separate the other 2 and condition them seperately. I have pasted a halfway decent pic i took of one of my males. Have a look and let me know what ya think! The pic will not appear as clear as it actually is....printroom resizes them, and that screws with the clarity a bit. I'd like to post them right from my HD but i don't know if there is a way to do that here? I have more pics, if you want me to keep posting just lemme know!

Rich

ViewImage.dll

Z Man

5 Year Member
It does look like a Juruensis shown in the Aqualog book on page 43. They show 3 male & 3 female photo's. You should really order one of these books. They help a great deal. If you can't find them locally e-mail me direct and i can tell you where to order them and the Romer book. I just don't want to start listing suppliers in these messages. [email protected]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….