• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma gephyra

Ekona

5 Year Member
I got these in as A. gephyra (they look like it to me)? I ordered two pairs, but got three definite males and the smaller fish (2nd series of photos below).

Male ~1.75" This is the winner of the group - quite nice. The other two males are rather plain looking.
yvmsd.jpg

1s70.jpg

f97vz.jpg

Is this a female?? This is a smaller fish ~1.25". I'm really hoping this is a she...what do you think?
i7wb.jpg

27tx.jpg

o9r7.jpg

Been quite some time wanting to get A. gephyra!

gerald

5 Year Member
I dont see any features that scream "male" yet, so it could go either way.
Delete the middle photo pf smaller fish (the less yellow one) and we'll declare it "female" for you.

Ekona

5 Year Member
I dont see any features that scream "male" yet, so it could go either way.
Delete the middle photo pf smaller fish (the less yellow one) and we'll declare it "female" for you.
Lol! Done!! And so it is!!
How about this? I say female...
45d0.jpg

Ekona

5 Year Member
Posting another pic of the "her" that shows the colorful dorsal that first lead me to believe it was a male.
ef9990.jpg

However, here are a couple of pics of a same sized fish that looks more like a male to me. I see longer fin extensions in the dorsal and pelvic fins. Will just have to wait and see.
159498.jpg

b0cc9f.jpg

Ekona

5 Year Member
Ok so after a couple of days of TLC and feeding - the mystery fish as blossomed into a definite female :)
She should be quite something when fully displaying...stay tuned.
53g8.jpg

gerald

5 Year Member
Hooray! -- that blue anal fin (before she turned yellow) made me suspicious. She looks a whole lot better now.
Are gephyra females normally more colorful than agassizi females?

Ekona

5 Year Member
Yep, the blue on the anal fin along with the colorful dorsal fin of the "female" had me thinking, at first, it was a male. One thing I have noticed in the two times that I have kept gephyra is that the dorsal fin of males is highly bronze/green-gold metallic, more so in my experience, than agassizii. I now believe the same is true for female gephies. See the pics below of the bright metallic dorsal on the male and too a lesser degree on female - but both more than in agassizii - again in my limited experience. So, yes, I think, depending of location and form, female gephies have quite a bit of color on them. All in all, a nice apisto. My thanks to Jeff R. for sending excellent specimens.

Male showing bronze/green-gold metallic dorsal.
2vdrv.jpg

Female (not the best picture) with similar colored dorsal with red seam as well.
wzi4l.jpg

Ekona

5 Year Member
Here is the other larger male I got in - it was really rather plain looking up until today when got into a sparring match with another apisto. Then it's colors intensified to look quite nice. From the same wild caught batch, but quite a bit of variation from the other larger male.
5xmu.jpg

Here a one inch male A. gephyra spars with a one inch female A. mendezi - even at such a small size these apistos got a lot going on.
lcog.jpg

Ekona

5 Year Member
The female is growing out nicely - hopefully ready to spawn before too long.
e6d4b4.jpg

Last edited:

gerald

5 Year Member
Oooh she's nice. That photo reminds me of a conversation some years ago with a guy named Phil who I was trading fish with (in KS or OK I think?) who kept LIVE semi-aquatic Sphagnum mosses growing in his softwater tanks. Good water softening and substrate for food micro-orgs, he told me. Your Sphagnum looks dead now, but have you tried any live?

Ekona

5 Year Member
Yep, I'm aware of the live sphagnum moss to condition water (breeding SA tetras) and if I could easily get my hands on some I'd definitely use it. The dried stuff is the closest I can get. The dried moss can generate lots of infusoria and I guess it could lower pH and perhaps TDS, but I have not actually tested that. I will though...thanks for the idea ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….