• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Community Tank Questions

S

Steve

After a 2 year break from aquariums (to make room for a now 16 month old daughter) I'm getting back into it. I had kept Rift lake cichlids for the past 6 or 7 years (prior to Elly) but now want to try something different.

I'm going to have a 120 or so gallon tank and want to set it up as a South American tank. I would like to keep Apistogrammas along with either Angels or Discus, Tetras, etc. I'm planning on having live plants on the perimeter, bogwood, possibly a small stone outcropping and a sand substrate. Can I keep more than one type of Apisto. or is there a chance of hybrids?

The tank will overflow into a 55 gallon sump. The sump will have a 30 GPM pump with a 75 sq.ft. cartridge filter. The water will be pumped back up to the tank at about 400 GPH. Do I need to heavily diffuse the 400 GPH flow or do these fish like a current?

Does this sound like it would work? Any hints, pointers, etc.

Thanks,

Steve

S

Steve

I forgot to add: I'll also have a large fluidized bed filter as well.

Neil

Response to Apistogramma Community Tank

Steve,
Firstly, let me say that I think it's a great choice to try Apistogrammas this time around. The tank that you describe would be a great environment for apistos, several species or a couple of groups.
Typically Apistogramma don't breed outside their species as regularly as Africans. However, there are exceptions. Apistogramma are categorized into groups and complexes. So similar fish from a single species-group will sometimes breed with each other. For example, A. nijsenni could breed with A. panduro or A. cacatuoides could breed with A. juruensis. So, as long as you are aware of the grouping of species, it is easy to find species that can inhabit the same tank without any problem.
I have found that most Apistos don't need a massive turn-over of the water in the tank. They typically originate from slow-moving water and seem to be happier in a "calmer" environment. But it is a larger tank with comparatively less water movement. Sounds like you won't have any problem with filtration!

jowens

5 Year Member
Just have fun! Unlike those uptight people on the discus boards, we won't bore you with all the frailties of the Apisto. In fact, Apistos are a hearty and versatile fish that can be kept in a multitude of water conditions with many different tankmates. I would check at your LFS, on the net, or wherever you get your fish from and see what's available . Once you've got a source to buy Apistos, consult this board to find out who can be mixed with who.

Besides hybrids, the only thing I might inquire about would be which Apistos can be kept with their own kinds. For instance, I've heard bad things about multiple male cacatuoides in the same tank. And I've been told Agassizii males can be kept together. The main thing to remember is that there aren't too many FACTS out there, only anecdotes and stories. Find the folks who have actually kept the Apistos (like those on this board with more experience than me) and ask about the specific species and its behavior. And have fun.

mordor

5 Year Member
Normally apistos ignore any non-cichlid fish. Sometimes my dominant Agassizi male gets pissed when black molly grabs food he intented to get but I never observe any aggression compareable to this which he displays against other apistos or rams.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….