• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma calamar?

Eddiekay1010

Hi, I need your help again, a fish has popped up on a list that I've never heard of, Apistogramma 'calamar'? The pictures are not great, bare bottom tank, showing no color. Has anyone heard of this fish, I can't find any info on it, searched the name on this site and on Tom's Apistos, maybe I overlooked it. Supposedly wild from Columbia.

Attachments

• 20230213_102937 (1).jpg
    20230213_102937 (1).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 112
  • 20230213_102928.jpg
    20230213_102928.jpg
    1,019.3 KB · Views: 110

Apistoguy52

Thanks, you are all the best, wasn't sure if it was something it like to give a try, now I'll try to get a group
Yes! Fantastic fish. Males are quite nice looking once they mature….they are also fantastically sized, 10cm +. By far the largest Apistogramma species I’ve ever kept

anewbie

They are mouthbrooders.

While they originate from the Vaupes headwaters, they do not come from blackwater. “Whitewater” chemistry for the win.
Interesting. Tom's website suggested low ph around 4-6 for them so i just assumed blackwater.

anewbie

As did I. After the 2nd or 3rd failed spawn, I reached out to Daniel, and he said something to the effect of “higher mineral content”. I failed a few more times rearing the fry, but finally found success at 125ppm tds/pH 6.9
That is super useful info - my tap is around those parameters.

Eddiekay1010

The handful Apistogramma species that use mouthbrooding, are they true mouth brooders like some Geophagus or the Haplochromines or are they larvophiles?
I never keep any yet, but I really want to!

Eddiekay1010

Hi, just wanted to follow up on this species, here are some adult pics of the male and female, does the original ID still stand? The 3 pics are of the same male, sometimes he's very orange in the face and caudal base.

Attachments

• IMG_8052.jpg
    IMG_8052.jpg
    961.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_8054.jpg
    IMG_8054.jpg
    673 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_7972.jpg
    IMG_7972.jpg
    892.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_7976.jpg
    IMG_7976.jpg
    890.3 KB · Views: 77

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….